Now in a sense, when we think about the effect of video games on the brain,
从某种意义上来说,我们可以认为电子游戏对于大脑的影响
it's very similar to the effect of wine on the health.
和酒对于健康的影响很相似。
There are some very poor uses of wine.
喝酒可能会造成很糟糕的结果,
There are some very poor uses of video games.
玩电子游戏也是。
But when consumed in reasonable doses, and at the right age,
但是如果在年龄合适的时候适当地喝一些,
wine can be very good for health.
酒可以很有利于健康。
There are actually specific molecules that have been identified in red wine as leading to greater life expectancy.
实际上,红酒已经被鉴定出含有能让人延年益寿的分子。
So it's the same way, like those action video games have a number of ingredients that
同样的,动作电子游戏里也有能对大脑的可塑性,
are actually really powerful for brain plasticity, learning, attention, vision, etc.
学习,注意力,视力等方方面面有非常有力影响的成分。
and so we need and we're working on understanding what are those active ingredients
所以我们现在需要做也正在做的就是了解这些积极的成分,
so that we can really then leverage them to deliver better games,
然后为了教育或病人的复原
either for education or for rehabilitation of patients.
真正地利用它们开发出更好的游戏。
Now because we are interested in having an impact for education or rehabilitation of patients,
既然我们关注的是对于教育和病人复原造成影响,
we are actually not that interested in
我们并不太关心那些
how those of you that choose to play video games for many hours on end perform.
连续玩很多个小时电子游戏的人的表现。
I'm much more interested in taking any of you
我更感兴趣的是从你们中随便选一个人
and showing that by forcing you to play an action game,
然后证明强迫你玩动作游戏
I can actually change your vision for the better,
能提高你的视力,
whether you want to play that action game or not, right?
不管你到底想不想玩动作游戏。
That's the point of rehabilitation or education.
这也是医疗康复和教育的重点。
Most of the kids don't go to school saying,
大多数孩子不会上学的时候说
"Great, two hours of math!"
"太棒了!能上两个小时的数学课!"
So that's really the crux of the research, and to do that, we need to go one more step.
这也是做研究的难题,为了解决它,我们要往前再进一步。
And one more step is to do training studies.
而这往前的一步就是训练研究。
So let me illustrate that step with a task which is called mental rotation.
让我通过一个叫做“心智旋转”的任务告诉大家这一步到底是什么。
Mental rotation is a task where I'm going to ask you,
心智旋转是一个要你们观察这个形状的任务,
and again you're going to do the task, to look at this shape.
这一次也需要大家都参与进来,
Study it, it's a target shape,
看着它,这是我们的目标形状。
and I'm going to present to you four different shapes.
现在我给你们看四个不同的形状。
One of these four different shapes is actually a rotated version of this shape.
这四个中的一个是由这个形状旋转得到的。
I want you to tell me which one:
我希望你们能告诉我是哪一个。
the first one, second one, third one or fourth one?
第一个,第二个,第三个还是第四个?
Okay, I'll help you. Fourth one.
好吧,这次我先公布答案,是第四个。
One more. Get those brains working. Come on.
再来一次。让你们的脑子动起来。
That's our target shape.
这个是我们的目标形状。
Third. Good! This is hard, right?
第三个。很好!这有点难是吗?
Like, the reason that I asked you to do that is because you really feel your brain cringing, right?
我让大家做这个小游戏,就是因为它能让你们感到头脑在打结。
It doesn't really feel like playing mindless action video games.
这和玩不需要动脑子的动作电子游戏感觉不太一样。
Well, what we do in these training studies is, people come to the lab,
我们在训练研究中做的就是让来实验室的人
they do tasks like this one,
完成和这个任务类似的任务,
we then force them to play 10 hours of action games.
然后我们强迫他们玩十个小时的动作游戏。
They don't play 10 hours of action games in a row.
不是连续玩十个小时而是分散地玩,
They do distributed practice, so little shots of 40 minutes several days over a period of two weeks.
比如说在两周内的几天里每天花上40分钟。
Then, once they are done with the training,
然后等他们完成了训练,
they come back a few days later and they are tested again on a similar type of mental rotation task.
几天后再到实验室,并被测试相似类型的心智旋转任务的完成情况。