Even some of the most able students are struggling with the pace of the Chinese teaching.
即使那些最有能力的学生也很难跟上中式的教学节奏
Today we did, um...
今天我们学了
trigonometry, which we have never covered before and we did it in, like, 15 minutes.
以前从未学过的三角函数,他花了十五分钟就讲完了
He was just moving on to the next one,
然后就开始讲下一部分了
cos everyone was talking so it was, like,
因为大家都在讲话,所以他大概在想
"Oh, they're doing it by themselves, I'll just move on."
"他们都在自学,那我开始下一部分吧"
There's such a wide range of abilities.
学生的能力有很大差距
Some people get it so quickly and some people take more time.
有的人学得很快,有的人学得慢一些
He's going over things so quickly and not explaining things properly
他讲得很快,解释得也不是很到位
and they're new to us, so we're not understanding them.
这些对我们都是新知识,所以我们很难理解
Have you got a minute?
您有时间吗
The girls have decided to visit Jay Bremner, their British maths teacher, to ask for help.
姑娘们决定向她们的英国数学老师杰伊·布雷姆纳寻求帮助
It's very convenient that I was doing this today so I have it all ready to go.
正好我今天正在准备这个部分,所以我随时可以开始
Mr Bremner has his own Year 9 class,
布雷姆纳老师也在教一个九年级的班
who will be competing against the Chinese school in the exam to test the two teaching styles.
他的学生将在考试中与中式学校一决高下,来检验两种不同的教学法
Three different trig ratios, sin, cos, and tan.
三种三角函数,正弦,余弦,正切
I actually write it with these little ridges in it,
我写的时候会写成这种三角的形状
so SOH... CAH... TOA.
这是正弦,余弦,正切
I get it! Sin is opposite hypotenuse... Yes.
我懂了,正弦是对边比斜边。是的
Oh, my God! Cos is adjacent to the hypotenuse...
天呐,余弦是邻边比斜边
It makes sense. That sounds like an ancient African rhyme!
终于懂了,听着像古代非洲的韵诗
Well... To a certain degree...yes.
某种程度上...是的
All right, I just simply refer to it as SOH-CAH-TOA.
我就称它为"正余切口诀"
That makes sense.
很有道理
We went to see our normal maths teacher to ask him about trig because we didn't understand any of it
我们去找我们平时的数学老师,问他三角函数的问题,因为我们一点也不懂
and he said his class was taking, a whole week and another lesson to learn it.
他说他们班用了一周时间外加一节课来学这部分
It appeared that the information was largely just given to them very quickly, all in one go,
显然这些知识大部分是非常快地塞给他们,分分钟了事
just with an expectation that it's there, copy it and do it.
就秉着知识就在这摆着,记下然后应用的理念
Teaching and learning and classrooms have changed so much.
教学,学习和课堂已经发生了很大变化
It's not the teacher's lesson any more, it is the students' lesson
这不再是老师的课堂,而是学生的课堂
and if we, as teachers, don't develop lessons to take...
如果我们作为老师不把课程
tailored to the needs of our particular groups, it's just going to fall on deaf ears.
按照受众群体的需求来设定的话,结果只能是对牛弹琴
Either the children will misbehave, the children won't access it,
学生要么会作弊,学生既不懂其表
the children won't understand it and you'll just be talking at them,
也不懂其里,你就只是单方面的灌输
and they will be sitting there waiting for you to shut up.
他们就会坐在那等着你闭嘴
Thank you. Thank you very much.
谢谢老师。谢谢你们