Dialogue 1:
Landlord: After seeing the apartment, are you satisfied with everything?
房东:看完房子以后你还满意吗?
Xiao Gao: I think so. I just have a few questions if you don't mind?
小高:嗯,我只是想问几个问题,如果你不介意的话。
Landlord: Okay, shoot.
房东:当然,尽管问。
Xiao Gao: I'm on the fence about choosing the big room or the small room. They both seem really nice.
小高:我只是不太确定是要选大的房间还是小的房间,他们看起来都不错。
Landlord: If I were you,I'd pick the big room. It's closer to the bathroom and the view is facing the city. It's really the best of both worlds.
房东:如果我是你,我就选大的,它离洗手间更近,并且窗子冲着市区景色很好,真的是两全其美了
Xiao Gao: You're right. I am a sucker for beautiful scenery. Okay, I'm sold! The big room it is. What's the next step?
小高:你说得对,我对美景完全没有抵抗力,好吧,我就要这个了,大的房间,那下一步怎么办?
Landlord: If you're sure you'd like to live here, we require that all of our tenants sign a one year lease agreement.
房东:如果你确定要住在这儿的话,我们会要求所有的租客签署一个一年的租约。
Xiao Gao: I'm sure.
小高:我确定。
Landlord: Okay, then I'll just need your John Hancock here, here, and… here.
房东:好,那我们只需要你的签名,在这里,这里和这里。
Xiao Gao: There you go.Are we finished?
小高:好的,签好了,这样就行了吗?
Landlord: That's it,here's your key. You're free to move in anytime. If you have any questions,please give us a call and we'll be glad to assist you.
房东:是的,这是你的钥匙。你随时可以搬进来,如果你有任何问题就给我们打电话,我们会非常乐意帮助你的。
习语短语:
1. shoot =尽管问
2. on the fence = 不太确定是要某事
3. the best of both worlds = 两全其美
4. a sucker for something = 对某事完全没有抵抗力
5. I'm sold! = 我要了!我买了!
6. tenants = 租客
7. lease agreement = 合同
8. John Hancock = 签名
Dialogue 2:
Landlord: Hello, Mr. Gao. How is the new apartment?
房东:嗨,高先生,新公寓住得怎么样?
Xiao Gao: Well… it's great, but there's a slight problem.
小高:嗯,挺好的,但是有一个小问题。
Landlord: Oh? What's thematter?
房东:哦?什么问题?
Xiao Gao: There's a huge pest problem in the kitchen. I'm worried that they might come into my room.
小高:厨房里虫子是个大问题,我很担心它们会进到我屋里来。
Landlord: What kind of pests are we talking about?
房东:你说的是什么样的虫子?
Xiao Gao: Roaches!
小高:蟑螂。
Landlord: Oh, well, I'm very sorry to hear that sir. Have you tried cleaning the kitchen thoroughly?
房东:哦,先生,我很遗憾听到这个消息,嗯,你有没有尝试好好地清理厨房?
Xiao Gao: That's why I came here. Isn't there something that you guys can do?
小高:这就是我来这里的原因。你们能不能帮我做些什么?
Landlord: I'm afraid not.
房东:恐怕在这件事上我们帮不了您。
Xiao Gao: But you're my landlord! I thought your slogan was:“above and beyond the call of duty”!
小高:但是你是我的房东,我以为你们的口号就是“全心全意为顾客服务”。
Landlord: It is, but you must not have read the fine print in the contract. It says here on line 217(A)that we are not responsible for any bug infestations.
房东:确实是,但是,你肯定没有读到合约上的那行小字体,合约217条A部分写着,我们不对任何昆虫负责。
Xiao Gao: Oh, I see… In that case I'll have to hire a professional to get rid of the bugs.
小高:嗯,我明白了,这样的话我就不得不去雇一家专业的除虫机构来帮我了。
Landlord: I'm afraid so.Is there anything else that we can do for you today, sir?
房东:我恐怕是的,还有什么我能帮你的吗,先生?
Xiao Gao: No, ma'am.Thank you!
小高:没有了,女士,谢谢你。
习语短语:
1. pest = 昆虫
2. roaches = cockroaches蟑螂
3. landlord = 房东
4. slogan = 口号
5. above and beyond the call of duty = 竭尽全力做某事,甚至超出职责范围
6. fine print = 小字
7. in that case = 那么; 在这种情况下
8. bugs = 虫子