What drives Apple employees?
是什么在驱使苹果的员工进步?
What kind of motivation do they have?
他们的动力是什么?
We don’t get a chance to do that many things, and every one should be really excellent.
人这一生没法做太多事情,所以每一件都要做到精彩绝伦。
Because this is our life.
这就是生活。
Life is brief, and then you die, you know?
人生苦短,你知道吗?
So this is what we’ve chosen to do with our life.
所以这是我们为人生作出的选择。
We could be sitting in a monastery somewhere in Japan.
我们本可以在日本某地的某座寺庙里打坐。
We could be out sailing.
或扬帆远航。
Some of the executive team could be playing golf.
管理层本可以去打高尔夫。
They could be running other companies.
或掌管其他公司,
And we’ve all chosen to do this with our lives.
而我们全都选择了来做这件事。
So it better be damn good.
所以这件事情最好能够做得好一点。
It better be worth it.
它最好能够物有所值。
And we think it is.
我们觉得它的确还不错。
Why people want to work at Apple?
人们为什么希望在苹果工作?
The reason is,is because you can’t do what you can do at Apple anywhere else.
因为你在其他任何地方都做不了你在苹果可以做的事情。
The engineering is long gone in most PC companies.
在那些电脑公司里,工程师早就没影儿了。
In the consumer electronics companies,
在消费类电子产品公司里,
they don’t understand the software parts of it.
他们根本不了解软件层面的事情。
And so you really can’t make the products that you can make at Apple anywhere else right now.
所以,现在苹果能做出的产品,在其他公司你根本做不出来。
Apple‘s the only company that has everything under one roof.
苹果是唯一一家将方方面面全盘掌控的公司。
There's no other company that could make a MacBook Air
没有其他公司能够造一台MacBook Air出来,
and the reason is that not only do we control the hardware,
因为我们不仅控制了硬件,
but we control the operating system.
我们还控制了操作系统。
And it is the intimate interaction between the operating system and the hardware that allows us to do that.
而得益于操作系统和硬件之间的紧密互动。
There is no intimate interaction between Windows and a Dell notebook.
Windows和戴尔笔记本之间就没有什么紧密互动可言。
Our DNA is as a consumer company
我们骨子里就是一家消费品公司,
—for that individual customer who’s voting thumbs up or thumbs down.
你的生死存亡掌握在消费者的手中。
That’s who we think about.
他们才是我们关注的对象。
And we think that our job is to take responsibility for the complete user experience.
我们觉得自己的工作就是对整个用户体验负责。
And if it’s not up to par, it,s our fault,plain and simply.
如果表现不及格,那就是我们的错,就这么简单。
Do you think that Apple could live without you?
你认为如果没有你,苹果还能继续存活吗?
We’ve got really capable people at Apple.
苹果公司人才辈出。
COO and gave him the Mac division and he’s done brilliantly.
我把蒂姆 (库克)提拔成了首席运营官并将Mac部门交到他手上确实成绩斐然。
I mean, some people say,“Oh,God, if Jobs got run over by a bus, Apple would be in trouble.”
我的意思是,有人说:“哦,老天,如果乔布斯被公交车给碾死了,苹果就‘歇菜 了’。”
And,you know, I think it wouldn’t be a party,
不过,虽然这不是什么值得高兴的事儿,
but there are really capable people at Apple.
而正因苹果公司人才济济,
And the board would have some good choices about who to pick as CEO.
董事会肯定会选出一位合适的CEO。
My job is to make the whole executive team good enough to be successors,
我的任务就是将整个管理团队都培养成优秀的继任者,
so that’s what I try to do.
这也是我在努力的目标。
What do you think of your demanding reputation?
有人说你很苛刻,你怎么看?
My job is to not be easy on people.
我的工作不是对人表现得和蔼可亲。
My job is to make them better.
我的工作是让他们做得更好。
My job is to pull things together from different parts of the company and clear the ways
我的工作是把公司里的各种资源聚拢到一起,清除路障,
and get the resources for the key projects.
然后把资源投放到最关键的项目上。
And to take these great people we have and to push them and make them even better,
我要把我们手下这些天才们召集起来并督促他们,让他们更上一层楼。
coming up with more aggressive visions of how it could be.
怎么做呢?只好采取更为极端的思路。
OK, I’m wondering that what Apple really focus on?
好的,我想知道苹果究竟专注于什么?
Apple is a $30 billion company, yet we’ve got less than 30 major products.
苹果是一家价值300亿美元的公司,但主要产品却不到30种。
I don’t know if that’s ever been done before.
我不知道这种状况是否曾经存在过。
Certainly the great consumer electronics companies of the past had thousands of products.
毫无疑问,过去那些有上千产品的消费电子公司,
We tend to focus much more.
我们专注得多。