How long have your worked for Carnegie?
为卡内基工作多久了
Over fifteen years.
超过十五年了
I guess he'd hate it if you left.
如果你离开了 他应该会很舍不得吧
No one is indispensable.
没有谁是不可或缺的
You've doubled profits at Carnegie Steel every year for the past five years.
过去的五年里你每年都让卡内基钢铁的利润翻了番
Times have been good.
近来光景不错
Carnegie is a very easy boss.
卡内基是一个非常容易相处的老板
What if you were your own boss?
有没有想过自己做老板
Of what?
什么老板
I am going to buy Carnegie Steel.
我准备买下卡内基钢铁
And you are going to be President of the world's largest company.
而你就会成为这家世界最大公司的总裁
With all due respect, Mr. Morgan, Carnegie would kill your idea at birth.
恕我直言 摩根先生 卡内基会扼杀你的想法的
Carnegie would never sell.
他肯定不会卖
Everyone has their price.
每件东西都有它的价格
You just have to find out what it is.
关键看出价
Did you know, Charles, that the game of golf was invented in Scotland?
你知道吗 查尔斯 高尔夫运动起源于苏格兰
I did not.
我不知道呢
So, do they treat you like a king when you return home to Scotland?
你回英格兰的时候 他们是不是像对待国王一样对待你
I suppose they do.
应该是的
And then you came to America and became a king--of industry.
然后你来到美国 成为另一种国王 产业之王
You created your own destiny.
你创造了自己的命运
Destiny is not a matter of chance.
命运不是偶然
It's a matter of choice.
而是一种选择
Exactly. Quote from Shakespeare
没错 莎士比亚说的
No. William Jennings Bryan said it.
不是 威廉·詹宁斯·布赖恩特说的
And we three kings of industry have robbed him of his destiny.
而我们三大行业之王改变了他的命运
Yeah. For the greater good.
是啊 为了更大的效益
To create more wealth.
创造更多的财富
Only if that wealth is used for the benefit of mankind.
要是这些财富用于造福人类就好了
You know, if you were to sell Carnegie Steel, you could spend the rest of your life benefiting mankind.
其实如果你卖掉卡内基钢铁 你在剩下来的日子里就可以去造福人类了
Alas, there is not one person in the world with enough money to buy Carnegie Steel.
唉 可惜世界上没有谁买得起卡内基钢铁啊
Save J.P. Morgan.
除了J·P·摩根
Supposing Morgan did want to buy.
假设摩根想买的话
What would be your price?
你要价多少