So you see, I'd missed fitting in to just about every category out there:
可以看到我与所有的生活格格不入:
daughter, wife, mother, scholar.
作为女儿,作为妻子,作为妈妈,作为学者。
And the dream of being a writer was really kind of like a small, sad stone in my throat.
而想要成为作家的梦想也一直如鲠在喉。
It was pretty much in spite of myself that I got on that plane
我没有理会自己的不适就登上了飞机,
and flew to New York City, where the writers are.
准备前往纽约,和各位作家见面。
Fellow misfits, I can almost see your heads glowing.
各位不适的人,我几乎可以看到你们头上的光芒。
I can pick you out of a room.
我可以在屋子里认出你来。
At first, you would've loved it.
一开始旅程是美妙的。
You got to choose the three famous writers you wanted to meet,
每个人可以选择三位最想见的知名作家
and these guys went and found them for you.
会有人为你联系他们。
You got set up at the Gramercy Park Hotel,
大家下榻在格拉梅西公园酒店,
where you got to drink Scotch late in the night with cool, smart, swank people.
在那里可以和出色,聪明,华丽的人喝苏格兰威士忌直到深夜。
And you got to pretend you were cool and smart and swank, too.
你要装作同样出色,聪明,华丽。
And you got to meet a bunch of editors and authors and agents at very, very fancy lunches and dinners.
你会在无比精美的午餐和晚宴中会见一系列的编辑作家和经纪人。
Ask me how fancy.
快问我多么精美。
How fancy?
有多么精美?
I'm making a confession: I stole three linen napkins from three different restaurants.
我承认我从三个不同的饭店偷了三块亚麻餐巾。
And I shoved a menu down my pants.
我还在裤子里藏了一张菜单。
I just wanted some keepsakes so that when I got home,
我只是想在我回家时,还能看到一些我带回来的纪念品
I could believe it had really happened to me. You know?
让我相信我真的去过这里。你明白么?