And so we know that, for example, openness and conscientiousness are very good predictors of life success,
众所周知,开放性和责任感往往意味着成功,
but the open people achieve that success through being audacious and, occasionally, odd.
但开放的人在通往成功之路上变得大胆,有时甚至古怪。
The conscientious people achieve it through sticking to deadlines, to persevering, as well as having some passion.
有责任感的人会紧守最后期限,获得成功,他们坚持不懈,他们怀有激情。
Extroversion and agreeableness are both conducive to working well with people.
外向性和宜人性都有助于与人和谐相处。
Extroverts, for example, I find intriguing.
比如外向的人,我就觉得很有趣。
With my classes, I sometimes give them a basic fact that might be revealing with respect to their personality:
在课堂上,我有时会讲一个基本事实能揭示人的性格特点:
I tell them that it is virtually impossible for adults to lick the outside of their own elbow.
我说,一个成年人无法舔到他们的手肘外侧。
Did you know that? Already, some of you have tried to lick the outside of your own elbow.
你们知道这事吗?你们中有些人已经尝试过舔自己的手肘外侧了。
But extroverts amongst you are probably those who have not only tried,
但你们中那些外向的人不但已经尝试过(舔自己的手肘)
but they have successfully licked the elbow of the person sitting next to them.
而且连坐他们旁边的人的手肘也没有放过。
Those are the extroverts.
这就是外向的人。
Let me deal in a bit more detail with extroversion,
让我再讨论一下外向性格的一些细节
because it's consequential and it's intriguing,
因为它影响深远而且很有意思,
and it helps us understand what I call our three natures.
能帮我们理解人类的三种天性。
First, our biogenic nature -- our neurophysiology.
第一种是生物学天性——我们的神经生理学。
Second, our sociogenic or second nature, which has to do with the cultural and social aspects of our lives.
第二种是社会学天性,又叫第二天性,与我们的文化和社会属性相关。
And third, what makes you individually you -- idiosyncratic -- what I call your "idiogenic" nature.
而第三种,让你成为独一无二的“你”,我称之为场景特定天性。