I departed, obeying his directions.
我听从他的吩咐走开了。
"Enough!" he called out in a few minutes.
"行啦!"几分钟后他叫道。
You play a little, I see, like any other English school-girl, perhaps rather better than some, but not well.
你会—点儿,我知道了,像随便哪一个英国女学生一样,也许比有些人强些,但并不好。
I closed the piano and returned.
我关了钢琴,走了回来。
Mr. Rochester continued: "Adèle showed me some sketches this morning, which she said were yours.
罗切斯特先生继续说:"今天早上阿黛勒把一些速写给我看了,她说是你画的。
I don't know whether they were entirely of your doing. Probably a master aided you?"
我不知道是不是完全由你一个人画的,也许某个画师帮助了你?"
"No, indeed!" I interjected.
"没有,说真的!"我冲口叫了起来。
Ah! that pricks pride.
噢,那伤了你的自尊。
Well, fetch me your portfolio, if you can vouch for its contents being original.
好吧,把你的画夹拿来,要是你能担保里面的画是自己创作的。
But don't pass your word unless you are certain. I can recognise patchwork.
不过你没有把握就别吭声,我认得出拼拼凑凑的东西。
Then I will say nothing, and you shall judge for yourself, sir.
那我什么也不说,你尽可以自己去判断,先生。
I brought the portfolio from the library.
我从书房取来了画夹。
"Approach the table," said he, and I wheeled it to his couch.
"把桌子移过来,"他说,我把桌子推向他的睡榻。
Adèle and Mrs. Fairfax drew near to see the pictures.
阿黛勒和费尔法克斯太太也都凑近来看画。
"No crowding," said Mr. Rochester:
"别挤上来,"罗切斯特先生说,
"take the drawings from my hand as I finish with them, but don't push your faces up to mine."
"等我看好了,可以从我手里把画拿走,但不要把脸都凑上来。"
He deliberately scrutinised each sketch and painting.
他审慎地细看了每幅速写和画作。
Three he laid aside; the others, when he had examined them, he swept from him.
把其中三幅放在一旁,其余的看完以后便推开了。
"Take them off to the other table, Mrs. Fairfax, "said he. "And look at them with Adèle.
"把它们放到别的桌子上去,费尔法克斯太太,"他说。"同阿黛勒一起看看这些画。
You (glancing at me) resume your seat, and answer my questions.
你呢,(目光扫视了我一下)仍旧坐在你位置上,回答我的问题。
I perceive those pictures were done by one hand. Was that hand yours?
我看出来这些画出自一人之手,那是你的手吗?
Yes.
是的。
And when did you find time to do them?
你什么时候抽时间来画的?
They have taken much time, and some thought.
这些画很费时间,也得动些脑筋。
I did them in the last two vacations I spent at Lowood, when I had no other occupation.
我是在罗沃德度过的最后两个假期时画的,那时我没有别的事情。
Where did you get your copies?
你什么地方弄来的摹本?
Out of my head.
从我脑袋里。
That head I see now on your shoulders?
就是现在我看到的你肩膀上的脑袋吗?
Yes, sir.
是的,先生。
Has it other furniture of the same kind within?
那里面没有类似的东西吗?
I should think it may have. I should hope — better.
我想也许有。我希望 — 更好。