Let me be blunt.
我就有话直说了
Will the southern states resume their former position in the Union
恢复南部各州 在联邦原来的位置后
speedily enough to enable us to block ratification of the Thirteenth Amendment?
我们是否还来得及 阻止第13号修正案的通过
I'd like peace immediately.Yes, and?
我现在就想要和平 好 然后呢
I'd like your states restored to their practical relations to the Union immediately.
我想让你们这些州 立即回归到联邦的实际机构中
If this could be given me in writing,
如果您能以邦联的副总统的名义
as Vice President of the Confederacy,I'd bring that document with celerity to Jefferson Davis.
将此话落实到书面上 我会马上将此文件交给杰斐逊·戴维斯
Surrender, and we can discuss reconstruction.
先投降 然后再谈机构重组
Surrender won't be thought of,unless you've assured us, in writing,
除非你们书面保证 我们回归之后还来得及阻止这份修正案
that we'll be readmitted in time to block this amendment.
否则我们不会考虑投降
This is the arrogant demand of a conqueror.
作为战胜方提出这样的要求未免太自大了
You'll not be a conquered people,you will be citizens.
你们不是战败方民众 亨特先生 你们是本国公民
Returned to the laws and the guarantees of rights of the Constitution.
重新受到宪法法律约束 并享有宪法保障的权利的公民
Which now extinguishes slavery. And with it, our economy.
宪法废除奴隶制 扼杀我们的经济
All our laws will be determined by a Congress of vengeful Yankees.
国会里睚眦必报的北方佬 将会制定我们的法律
All our rights'll be subject to a Supreme Court benched by bloody Republican radicals.
最高法院里该死的共和党激进分子 将会制约我们享有的权利
All our traditions will be obliterated.We won't know ourselves anymore.
我们的传统会毁于一旦 我们甚至会忘记自己是谁