When I was as old as you, I was a feeling fellow enough,
在我同你一样年纪的时候,我是一个富有同情心的人,
partial to the unfledged, unfostered, and unlucky, but fortune has knocked me about since.
偏爱羽毛未丰、无人养育和不幸的人,但是命运却一直打击我。
She has even kneaded me with her knuckles,
甚至用指关节揉面似地揉我,
and now I flatter myself I am hard and tough as an India-rubber ball;
现在我庆幸自己像一个印度皮球那样坚韧了,
pervious, though, through a chink or two still, and with one sentient point in the middle of the lump.
不过通过一两处空隙还能渗透到里面。在这一块东西的中心,还有一个敏感点。
Yes. Does that leave hope for me?
是的,那使我还能有希望吗?
Hope of what, sir?
希望什么,先生?
Of my final re-transformation from India-rubber back to flesh?
希望我最终从印度皮球再次转变为血肉之躯吗?
"Decidedly he has had too much wine," I thought.
"他肯定是酒喝多了,"我想。
And I did not know what answer to make to his queer question.
我不知道该如何来回答这个奇怪的问题。
how could I tell whether he was capable of being re-transformed?
我怎么知道他是不是可能被转变过来呢?
"You looked very much puzzled, Miss Eyre.
"你看来大惑不解,爱小姐。
And though you are not pretty any more than I am handsome, yet a puzzled air becomes you.
而你虽然并不漂亮,就像我并不英俊一样,但那种迷惑的神情却同你十分相称。
besides, it is convenient, for it keeps those searching eyes of yours away from my physiognomy,
此外,这样倒也好,可以把你那种搜寻的目光,从我的脸上转移到别处去,
and busies them with the worsted flowers of the rug, so puzzle on.
忙着去看毛毯上的花朵。那你就迷惑下去吧。
Young lady, I am disposed to be gregarious and communicative tonight.
年轻小姐,今儿晚上我爱凑热闹,也很健谈。
With this announcement he rose from his chair, and stood, leaning his arm on the marble mantelpiece.
宣布完毕,他便从椅子上立起来。他伫立着,胳膊倚在大理石壁炉架上。
In that attitude his shape was seen plainly as well as his face.
这种姿势使他的体形像面容一样可以看得一清二楚。
His unusual breadth of chest, disproportionate almost to his length of limb.
他的胸部出奇地宽阔,同他四肢的长度不成比例。
I am sure most people would have thought him an ugly man, yet there was so much unconscious pride in his port,
我敢肯定,大多数人都认为他是个丑陋的男人,但是他举止中却无意识地流露出那么明显的傲慢,
so much ease in his demeanour, such a look of complete indifference to his own external appearance,
在行为方面又那么从容自如,对自已的外表显得那么毫不在乎,
so haughty a reliance on the power of other qualities, intrinsic or adventitious,
又是那么高傲地依赖其他内在或外来的特质的力量,
to atone for the lack of mere personal attractiveness,
来弥补自身魅力的缺乏。
that, in looking at him, one inevitably shared the indifference,
因此,你一瞧着他,就会不由自主地被他的漠然态度所感染,
and, even in a blind, imperfect sense, put faith in the confidence.
甚至盲目片面地对他的自信表示信服。
"I am disposed to be gregarious and communicative to-night," he repeated, "and that is why I sent for you.
"今天晚上我爱凑热闹,也健谈,"他重复了这句话。"这就是我要请你来的原因。
the fire and the chandelier were not sufficient company for me,
炉火和吊灯还不足陪伴我,
nor would Pilot have been, for none of these can talk.
派洛特也不行,因为它们都不会说话。