Darkness settled over ever thing.
黑暗笼罩了一切。
Soon there were only shadows and the noises of the sheep chewing their cuds,
很快就只有影子和羊嚼草的声音了,
and occasionally the rattle of a cow-chain up overhead.
偶尔还有头顶上牛链子的格格声。
You can imagine Wilbur's surprise when, out of the darkness, came a small voice he had never heard before.
因此,当黑暗中传来一个威尔伯从没听到过的细小声音时,它有多么吃惊,你们也就可想而知了。
It sounded rather thin, but pleasant.
这声音听上去很细,可是很好听。
"Do you want a friend, Wilbur?" it said.
“你要一个朋友吗,威尔伯?”那声音说,
"I'll be a friend to you. I've watched you all day and I like you."
“我可以做你的朋友。我观察你一整天了,我喜欢你。”
"But I can't see you," said Wilbur, jumping to his feet.
“可我看不见你,”威尔伯跳起来说,
"Where are you? And who are you?"
“你在哪里?你是谁?”
"I'm right up here," said the voice.
“我就在上面这儿,”那声音说,
"Go to sleep. You'll see me in the morning."
“睡觉吧。明天早晨你就看见我了。”