But unluckily the Varens, six months before, had given me this filette Adèle, who, she affirmed, was my daughter;
不幸的是,这位瓦伦在六个月之前给我留下了这个女孩阿黛勒,并咬定她是我女儿。
And perhaps she may be, though I see no proofs of such grim paternity written in her countenance.
也许她是,尽管我从她脸上看不到父女之间的必然联系。
Pilot is more like me than she.
派洛特还比她更像我呢。
Some years after I had broken with the mother, she abandoned her child, and ran away to Italy with a musician or singer.
我同瓦伦决裂后几年,瓦伦遗弃了孩子,同一个音乐家或是歌唱家私奔到了意大利。
I acknowledged no natural claim on Adèle's part to be supported by me, nor do I now acknowledge any, for I am not her father.
当时我并没有承认自己有抚养阿黛勒的义务,就是现在也不承认,因为我不是她的父亲。
But hearing that she was quite destitute, I e' en took the poor thing out of the slime and mud of Paris, and transplanted it here,
不过一听到她穷愁潦倒,我便把这个可怜虫带出了巴黎的泥坑,转移到这里,
to grow up clean in the wholesome soil of an English country garden.
让她在英国乡间花园健康的土壤中,干干净净地成长。
Mrs. Fairfax found you to train it.
费尔法克斯太太找到了你来培养她。
But now you know that it is the illegitimate offspring of a French opera- girl,
而现在,你知道她是一位法国歌剧女郎的私生女了,
you will perhaps think differently of your post and protegee.
你也许对自己的职位和保保人身份,改变了想法。
You will be coming to me some day with notice that you have found another place
说不定哪一天你会来见我,通知我己经找到了别的工作。
that you beg me to look out for a new governess, etc. — Eh?
让我另请一位新的家庭教师等等呢?
No. Adèle is not answerable for either her mother's faults or yours.
不,阿黛勒不应对她母亲和你的过失负责。
I have a regard for her.
我很关心她。
And now that I know she is, in a sense, parentless — forsaken by her mother and disowned by you, sir — I shall cling closer to her than before.
现在我知道她在某种意义上说没有父母—被她的母亲所抛弃,而又不被你所承认,先生 — 我会比以前更疼爱她。
How could I possibly prefer the spoilt pet of a wealthy family,
我怎么可能喜欢富贵人家一个讨厌家庭教师的娇惯的宠儿,
who would hate her governess as a nuisance, to a lonely little orphan, who leans towards her as a friend?
而不喜欢象朋友一样对待她的孤苦无依的小孤儿呢?