OK, if these principles are so powerful, you might be thinking, why are they not commonplace in business?
好了,既然这些法则如此强大,你可能会想,为什么在商界不常见到它们呢?
Why do we not use these words every day?
为什么它们还不是老生常谈?
Well, change has to first start in the mind.
好吧,改变首先得从思想开始
If we think back to our pitch to Bob,
如果我们回想对鲍勃的推销
in order to apply the principles that underpin the miracle of the human immune system,
为了运用支撑人体免疫机制的几条法则
we first need to think differently about business.
我们首先得从另一个角度来思考商业
Now typically, when we think about business, we use what I call "mechanical thinking."
通常,当我们想到商业的时候,我们使用我所谓的“力学思考法”
We set goals, we analyze problems, we construct and we adhere to plans,
我们制定目标,分析问题,制定并执行计划
and more than anything else, we stress efficiency and short-term performance.
最为重要的是我们强调效率和短期表现
Now, don't get me wrong -- this is a splendidly practical and effective way
现在,请不要搞错,这是一种在相对稳定的环境中
of addressing relatively simple challenges in relatively stable environments.
解决较为简单的问题时十分有效和实际的方式
It's the way that Bob -- and probably many of us, myself included -- process most business problems we're faced with every day.
这是鲍勃--还有包括我在内的,我们中许多人--处理我们每天面临的大多数商业问题的办法
In fact, it was a pretty good mental model for business
事实上,这曾是一种良好的商业思想模型,
overall -- until about the mid-1980s, when the conjunction of globalization
总体地,直到20世纪80年代中期全球化和科技革命、通信技术的结合
and a revolution in technology and telecommunications made business far more dynamic and unpredictable.
使得商业变得比以往更具活力、更难以预测
But what about those more dynamic and unpredictable situations that we now increasingly face?
那么当我们现在面临更具活力和不可预测性的情况时该怎么应对呢?
I think in addition to the mechanical thinking,
我认为除了力学思考法外
we now need to master the art of biological thinking, as embodied by our six principles.
现在我们得掌握生物思考的艺术,就像我们的六条守则所传达的一样