第六面
"I hope it is he," thought I, "and not something worse."
"但愿是他,"我想,"而不是更坏的东西。"
He re-entered, pale and very gloomy.
他再次进屋时脸色苍白,十分忧郁。
"I have found it all out," said he, setting his candle down on the washstand; "it is as I thought."
"我全搞清楚了,"他们蜡烛放在洗衣架上。"跟我想的一样。"
How, sir?
怎么一回事,先生?
He made no reply, but stood with his arms folded, looking on the ground.
他没有回答,只是抱臂而立、看着地板。
At the end of a few minutes he inquired in rather a peculiar tone.
几分钟后,他带着奇怪的声调问道。
I forget whether you said you saw anything when you opened your chamber door.
我忘了你是不是说打开房门的时候看到了什么东西。
No, sir, only the candlestick on the ground.
没有,先生,只有烛台在地板上。
But you heard an odd laugh?
可你听到了古怪的笑声?
You have heard that laugh before, I should think, or something like it?
我想你以前听到过那笑声,或者类似的那种声音。
Yes, sir. there is a woman who sews here, called Grace Poole,
是的,先生,这儿有一个缝衣女人,叫格雷斯·普尔
she laughs in that way. She is a singular person.
她就是那么笑的,她是个怪女人。
Just so. Grace Poole — you have guessed it.
就是这么回事,格雷斯·普尔,你猜对了。
She is, as you say, singular — very.
像你说的一样,她是古怪,很古怪。
Well, I shall reflect on the subject.
好吧,这件事我再细细想想。
Meantime, I am glad that you are the only person, besides myself, acquainted with the precise details of to-night's incident.
同时我很高兴,因为你是除我之外唯一了解今晚的事儿确切细节的人。
You are no talking fool. Say nothing about it.
你不是一个爱嚼舌头的傻瓜,关于这件事,什么也别说。
I will account for this state of affairs
这付样子(指着床),我会解释的。
(pointing to the bed) : And now return to your own room.
现在回到你房间去。
I shall do very well on the sofa in the library for the rest of the night.
我在图书室沙发上躺到天亮挺不错。
It is near four. In two hours the servants will be up.
已快四点了,再过两个小时仆人们就会上楼来。
"Good-night, then, sir," said I, departing.
"那么晚安,先生,"我说着就要离去。
He seemed surprised — very inconsistently so, as he had just told me to go.
他似乎很吃惊,完全是前后不一,因为他刚打发我走。