"Yet," I reflected, "she has been young once.
"不过,"我思忖道,"她曾有过青春年华。
Her youth would be contemporary with her master's.
那时主人也跟她一样年轻。
Mrs. Fairfax told me once, she had lived here many years.
费尔法克斯太太曾告诉我,她在这里已住了很多年。
I don't think she can ever have been pretty.
我认为她从来就没有姿色。
But, for aught I know, she may possess originality and strength of character to compensate for the want of personal advantages.
但是也许她性格的力量和独特之处弥补了外貌上的不足。
Mr. Rochester is an amateur of the decided and eccentric. Grace is eccentric at least.
罗切斯特先生喜欢果断和古怪的人。格雷斯至少很古怪。
What if a former caprice (a freak very possible to a nature so sudden and headstrong as his) has delivered him into her power,
要是从前一时的荒唐(像他那种刚愎自用、反复无常的个性,完全有可能干出轻率的事来)使他落入了她的掌中,
and she now exercises over his actions a secret influence,
行为上的不检点酿成了恶果,使他如今对格雷斯所施加给自己的秘密影响,
the result of his own indiscretion, which he cannot shake off, and dare not disregard?
既无法摆脱,又不能漠视,那又有什么奇怪呢?
But, having reached this point of conjecture, Mrs. Poole's square, flat figure, and uncomely, dry, even coarse face,
但是,一想到这里,普尔太太宽阔、结实、扁平的身材和丑陋干瘪甚至粗糙的面容,
recurred so distinctly to my mind's eye,
便清晰地浮现在我眼前,
that I thought, "No; impossible! My supposition cannot be correct. Yet,"
于是我想:"不,不可能!我的猜想不可能是对的。不过,"
Suggested the secret voice which talks to us in our own hearts,
一个在我心里悄悄说话的声音建议道:
you are not beautiful either, and perhaps Mr. Rochester approves you.
你自己也并不漂亮,而罗切斯特先生却赞赏你。
At any rate, you have often felt as if he did.
至少你总是觉得好像他是这样。
And last night — remember his words, remember his look, remember his voice!
而且昨天晚上 — 别忘了他的话,别忘了他的神态,别忘了他的嗓音!
I well remembered all — language, glance, and tone seemed at the moment vividly renewed.
这一切我都记得清清楚楚:那语言,那眼神,那声调此刻似乎活生生地再现了。
I was now in the schoolroom.
这时我呆在读书室里。
Adèle was drawing. I bent over her and directed her pencil.
阿黛勒在画画,我弯着身子指导她使用画笔。