Even though she has never seen "Game of Thrones," primarily because we are not the worst parents who ever lived.
即使她未曾看过《权利的游戏》,主要是因为我们并不是最糟的父母。
But she knows there's someone called the Mother of Dragons, and she calls herself that and she loves it.
但她知道有人叫做龙母,她也自称龙母并怡然自得。
She's a huge comic book fan. Right now, her favorite character is Groot.
她是个大大的漫画爱好者。现在,她最喜欢的角色是格鲁特。
She loves Groot. She adores The Incredible Hulk.
她喜欢格鲁特。她崇拜绿巨人浩克。
But my daughter really at heart, her thing is Star Wars. My kid is a Jedi.
但是在我女儿的内心中,星球大战才是她的最爱。我的孩子是个绝地武士。
Although some days she's also a Sith, which is a choice that I can respect.
尽管有时她也扮成西斯,是个令我敬佩的选择。
But here's the question that I have to ask.
但是我一直有个困惑,
Why is it that when my daughter dresses up, whether it's Groot or The Incredible Hulk,
为什么当我的女儿想要换装打扮时,无论是格鲁特还是绿巨人,
whether it's Obi-Wan Kenobi or Darth Maul, why is every character she dresses up as a boy?
无论是欧比旺·克诺比还是达斯·摩尔,为什么她饰演的都是男性角色?
And where are all the female superheroes?
女性超级英雄都去哪了?
And that is not actually the question, because there's plenty of female superheroes.
这么问并不确切,因为世界上有很多女性英雄。
My question really is, where is all the female superhero stuff?
事实上,我的问题是,所有女英雄的周边产品都哪儿去了?
Because every day when my daughter plays when she dresses up, she's learning stuff
因为当我的女儿每天换装扮演时,她都在学习,
through a process that, in my own line of work, as a professor of media studies, we refer to as public pedagogy.
在我自己的本职工作中,作为一个媒体分析领域的教授,我们把这个过程称为公共教育学。
That is, it is how societies are taught ideologies.
也就是说,这关于社会如何被赋予意识形态。
It's how you learned what it meant to be a man or a woman,
它让你懂得作为一名男性或女性的意义,
what it meant to behave yourself in public, what it meant to be a patriot and have good manners.
在公共场合自我表现的意义,成为一个忠心耿耿又彬彬有礼的人的意义。
It's all the constituent social relations that make us up as a people.
就是这些所有的社会关系组成了我们大家。