To appreciate has two meanings as we talked about: one is to say "thank you" for something and two is to grow.
欣赏有两个意思一是懂得感谢,二是传递
If we appreciate the good in our nature, in our inclinations,
如果我们欣赏人性中欲望中好的东西
if we appreciate that part of our nature, it will appreciate and we'll have more of it.
如果我们欣赏本性中那一部分它将升值,我们将获得更多
If we look down at it and say, "It's a terrible thing that
如果我鄙视它并说"很可怕
I just derive benefits from helping other people",
我从帮助他人身上获得利益"
then that part of our nature will depreciate over time.
那么本性中那一部分将随时间贬值
For your readings, you are reading one of the meditations in my book,
你们正在读我书中的冥想部分
where I talk about it a little bit more in length, and I also gave the philosophical foundation,
书中有更详细的阐述也给出了哲学基础
because in many ways this goes against "counting and thinking"
因为在很多方面有别于"数数和思考"
that has been so dominant in our 20th and 21st century thinking about morality.
那种方法在20和21世纪处于统治地位思考道德
It feels good to feel good.
感谢好就是感觉好
It also contributes to others to feel good.
也能让他人感觉好
I want to end this premise idea by talking a little bit about a person for whom,
我想以介绍一位一生致力于
one of the chief purpose in life was to spread happiness
传播快乐的人来结论这个前提
Mahatma Gandhi. This is a story about him.
圣雄甘地,这是关于他的一个故事
There was a woman like many people came to ask for advice from Gandhi.
一个女人像很多人一样来寻求甘地的建议
And she came from very far away.
她长途赶来
And she brought her son along.
还带着儿子
And she said in front she got audience with Mahatma, and she said in front of him, and she said to him
她拜见甘地在他面前说,她对他说
"I came from afar, because I have a problem with my son.
"我长途赶来,因为我儿子有个问题