I describe it as having bubble gum,
我觉得这种感觉就像“吃泡泡糖”,
and once it's lost all its flavor,
一旦嚼得没味儿了,
you have just a piece of rubber that you chew over and over again.
嚼来嚼去嚼的不过是一块橡皮
That is essentially what food is like for me when I put food into my mouth.
吃东西的时候,我对食物的感觉基本上就是这样
My name is Adrian Wellock, and I have lost my sense of taste.
我叫艾德里安·韦洛克,我失去味觉了
I suffered a cold,
有一次我感冒了
and I started getting a metallic taste in my mouth.
之后感觉嘴里有种金属味儿
Once that finally left, it took my sense of taste with it.
当这种感觉消失的时候,我的味觉也被带走了
It took me a few weeks to actually identify that it was my taste
好几周之后我才发现我失去味觉了
because I could smell perfectly.
因为我的嗅觉完好无损
I only eat foods now which spend very little time in the mouth.
我现在只吃不需要嚼很久的东西
Because I don't extract any flavor,
因为我感受不到任何味道
the idea of a chocolate bar or a steak,
巧克力或是牛排这类东西
the way you chew it in order to bring out the juices and the flavors of it,
你要嚼了之后才会有汁儿或者味道
there's no enjoyment from it.
对我来说嚼这些东西谈不上任何享受
So I find myself eating very light foods like salads and rice.
所以我喜欢吃清淡的食物,比如沙拉、米饭。
And also I use the advantage of adding herbs
但我会放一些香草
in order to make the smell sensation quite enjoyable.
让食物变得很好闻
I also find the spice very important.
辣椒也很重要
Spice is not actually something you taste.
辣味儿实际上不是一种味觉
It's something you feel.
而是一种感觉
It gives it that sort of tingle in my mouth.
它是你口腔里产生的一种痛感
You end up with a rather peculiar eating pattern that people look at you funny
最后你养成了一种奇特的、在别人眼里很好笑的饮食习惯
because you're putting chilies on your breakfast cereal
因为你在早餐麦片里放辣椒
and you've put a mustard sauce on pretty much a lot of the food you eat.
还在吃的里面放很多的芥末酱
And almost three years now
差不多快三年了
we're still none of the wiser as to why it's gone or getting my sense of taste back
但我怎么失去味觉的,又要怎么恢复,对此我们仍旧一无所知