"Help! Help!" he cried. "Oh, poor me! Won't someone come to save me?"
他喊着:“救命啊!救命啊!噢,我真苦命啊!没人能来这儿救我吗?”
"Who is there to help you, unhappy boy?" said a rough voice, like a guitar out of tune.
“谁能来救你呢?不幸的孩子。”一个嘶哑声音说到,这声音像是走调的吉他弦发出来的。
"Who is talking?" asked Pinocchio, frozen with terror.
“谁在说话?”皮诺乔问到,吓呆了。
"It is I, a poor Tunny swallowed by the Shark at the same time as you. And what kind of a fish are you?"
“是我!是一条可怜的金枪鱼,跟你一起同时被鲨鱼吞进来的。你是什么鱼?”
"I have nothing to do with fishes. I am a Marionette."
“我不是鱼类,我是一个木偶。”
"If you are not a fish, why did you let this monster swallow you?"
“你不是鱼,怎么让这怪物吞了?”
"I didn't let him. He chased me and swallowed me without even a 'by your leave'!
“并不是我让它这么做的,他追上我就毫不客气地把我吞了!
And now what are we to do here in the dark?"
咱们这会儿漆黑一片的该怎么办?”
"Wait until the Shark has digested us both, I suppose."
“我猜咱们只能等鲨鱼把咱俩给消化掉了。”
"But I don't want to be digested," shouted Pinocchio, starting to sob.
“我可不想被它给消化掉。”皮诺乔叫起来,又开始抽泣起来。
"Neither do I," said the Tunny, "but I am wise enough to think that if one is born a fish,
“我也不想,”金枪鱼接下去说,“但我的聪明才智足够让想到既然我生下来是鱼,
it is more dignified to die under the water than in the frying pan."
那么死在水里总比死在油锅里更体面些。”
"What nonsense!" cried Pinocchio.
“蠢话!”皮诺乔叫道。