"Why don't you come with me to the Fair Grounds and lay your eggs there?" pleaded Wilbur.
“你为什么不和我一起到集市,在那里产你的卵呢?”威尔伯恳求着它,
"It would be wonderful fun."
“那会非常好玩的。”
Charlotte gave her web a twitch and moodily watched it sway.
夏洛拉拉它的网,忧郁地看着它晃动。
"I'm afraid not," she said.
“我怕不行,”它说,
"You don't know the first thing about egg laying, Wilbur.
“你不知道产卵最要紧的是什么,威尔伯。
I can't arrange my family duties to suit the management of the County Fair.
我不能让我的家庭责任迁就集市的安排。
When I get ready to lay eggs, I have to lay eggs, Fair or no Fair.
我要产卵就得产卵,不管集市不集市的。
However, I don't want you to worry about it – you might lose weight.
不过我不要你为这件事担心——担心你就会瘦下来。
We'll leave it this way: I'll come to the Fair if I possibly can."
我们就这么讲定了:我有可能上集市去我就去。”
"Oh, good! " said Wilbur.
“噢,好!”威尔伯说,
"I knew you wouldn't forsake me just when I need you most."
“我知道,在我最需要你的时候,你是不会丢下我的。”
All that day Wilbur stayed inside, taking life easy in the straw.
那一整天威尔伯待在里面,在麦草上过得舒舒服服。
Charlotte rested and ate a grasshopper.
夏洛也休息下来,吃了一只蚱蜢。
She knew that she couldn't help Wilbur much longer.
它知道再不能给威尔伯帮什么忙了。
In a few days she would have to drop everything
几天之内它就得丢下一切事情,
and build the beautiful little sac that would hold her eggs.
做那个美丽的小袋来装它的卵。