And the third thing about intelligence is, it's distinct.
培养好学生的第三个原则就是个性化。
I'm doing a new book at the moment called "Epiphany,"
我目前在写本书,书名叫《顿悟》,
which is based on a series of interviews with people about how they discovered their talent.
素材来自一些访谈,访谈内容是关于怎样发现自身的才能。
I'm fascinated by how people got to be there.
对于这点我很感兴趣。
It's really prompted by a conversation I had with a wonderful woman who maybe most people have never heard of, Gillian Lynne.
激发我写这本书的原因是一次对话,我采访了一位很优秀的女士,也许很多人没听说过这个人,她叫Gillian Lynne,
Have you heard of her? Some have. She's a choreographer, and everybody knows her work.
你们知道这个人吗?应该有人知道吧。她是一个舞蹈编剧,所有人都知道她的作品。
She did "Cats" and "Phantom of the Opera." She's wonderful.
她编舞的作品有《猫》、《歌剧魅影》。她很有才华。
I used to be on the board of The Royal Ballet, as you can see.
我在英国看过由皇家芭蕾舞团演出的她的作品。你们也看过她的作品。
Anyway, Gillian and I had lunch one day and I said, "How did you get to be a dancer?" It was interesting.
有一次,我和Gillian吃午饭,我问她:“Gillian,你是怎样成为舞蹈家的?”说起来很有意思。
When she was at school, she was really hopeless.
她上学的时候,觉得自己完全没有希望。
And the school, in the '30s, wrote to her parents and said, "We think Gillian has a learning disorder."
她上学那会儿是1930年代,老师给她家长写信说:“我们认为Gillian患有学习障碍症。”
She couldn't concentrate; she was fidgeting. I think now they'd say she had ADHD. Wouldn't you?
她无法集中注意力,她老是坐不安生。用现在的话讲,那意思就是她有多动症。你们也这么想吧?
But this was the 1930s, and ADHD hadn't been invented at this point. It wasn't an available condition.
但那时候是1930年代,“多动症”这个词还没出现。那个老师用词不当。
People weren't aware they could have that.
那时候人们还不知道用“多动症”这个词。
Anyway, she went to see this specialist. So, this oak-paneled room,
于是Gillian去看病。
and she was there with her mother, and she was led and sat on this chair at the end,
她妈妈带她去的,医生让她坐在椅子上,她把手压在腿下,
and she sat on her hands for 20 minutes while this man talked to her mother about the problems Gillian was having at school.
这样过了20分钟,她妈妈一直在向医生讲述Gillian在学校的表现。
Because she was disturbing people; her homework was always late; and so on, little kid of eight.
她在学校不安生,她总是晚交作业等等,其实不过是个才8岁的孩子。
In the end, the doctor went and sat next to Gillian, and said,
最后,医生走过去坐到Gillian的旁边对她说:
"I've listened to all these things your mother's told me, I need to speak to her privately. Wait here.
“Gillian,你妈妈跟我说了很多,现在我想和你妈妈单独谈谈。
We'll be back; we won't be very long," and they went and left her.
你在这儿等一下,我们马上谈完。”医生和她妈妈出去了。