"Someone must live in that little hut," said Pinocchio. "Let us see for ourselves."
“这小屋准住着人,”皮诺乔说,“咱们上那儿去看看。”
They went and knocked at the door. "Who is it?" said a little voice from within.
他们就走过去敲门。“谁呀?”里面有一个微弱的声音说到。
"A poor father and a poorer son, without food and with no roof to cover them," answered the Marionette.
“是一个可怜的爸爸和一个可怜的儿子,没吃没住的,”木偶回答说。
"Turn the key and the door will open," said the same little voice.
“把钥匙转―转,门就开了,”还是那微弱的声音说到。
Pinocchio turned the key and the door opened.
皮诺乔转了转钥匙,门开了。
As soon as they went in, they looked here and there and everywhere but saw no one.
他们进屋,这里看看,那里瞧瞧,一个人也没见。
"Oh—ho, where is the owner of the hut?" cried Pinocchio, very much surprised. "Here I am, up here!"
“噢,房子的主人在哪儿啊?”皮诺乔惊奇地说到。“我在这上面!”
Father and son looked up to the ceiling, and there on a beam sat the Talking Cricket.
爷儿俩马上抬头看天花板,看见会说话的蟋蟀在一根柱子上。
"Oh, my dear Cricket," said Pinocchio, bowing politely.
“噢,我亲爱的蟋蟀,”皮诺乔很有礼貌地弯腰向它行礼说。
"Oh, now you call me your dear Cricket, but do you remember when you threw your hammer at me to kill me?"
“噢,你这会儿叫我你的‘亲爱的蟋蟀’了,可你记得那时候你用一个锤子仍我要砸死我吗?”
"You are right, dear Cricket. Throw a hammer at me now.
“你说的对,亲爱的蟋蟀,现在用锤子扔我吧,
I deserve it! But spare my poor old father."
我活该!不过可怜可怜我这可怜的老父亲。”
"I am going to spare both the father and the son.
“爸爸和儿子我都会宽恕。
I have only wanted to remind you of the trick you long ago played upon me,
我只想让你想起很久以前你对我玩过的把戏,
to teach you that in this world of ours we must be kind and courteous to others, if we want to find kindness and courtesy in our own days of trouble."
为的是告诉你,在这个世界上,如果我们想在遭遇困境的时候得到别人的善意和礼遇,那么我们就必须要善待他人,礼貌待人。”