The Chimney-sweeper
扫烟囱的孩子
A little black thing among the snow,
雪地里有一个黑黑的小东西:
Crying! 'weep! weep!' in notes of woe!
叫喊着扫呀,扫呀,哭哭啼啼!
'Where are thy father and mother? Say!'—
喂!你的爸爸妈妈都哪儿去了?
'They are both gone up to the church to pray.
他们都到礼拜堂去做祷告。
'Because I was happy upon the heath,
因为我在荒原上本来很欢畅,
And smiled among the winter's snow,
而且在冬天的大雪里微笑:
They clothed me in the clothes of death,
他们给我穿上了丧服似的衣裳。
And taught me to sing the notes of woe.
又教我唱起这悲伤的曲调。
'And because I am happy and dance and sing,
因为我快活,又跳又唱,
They think they have done me no injury,
他们就以为对我毫无损伤:
And are gone to praise God and His priest and king,
就去赞美上帝与他的牧师和国王,
Who made up a heaven of our misery.'
这一伙把我们的苦难硬说是天堂。