Andrew abandoned all his other research.
安德鲁放弃了其它所有的研究工作。
He cut himself off from the rest of the world and for the next seven years
在接下来的七年里,他将自己隔绝于外部世界,
he concentrated solely on his childhood passion.
他只专注于他的儿时梦想
I never use a computer. I sometimes might scribble, I do doodles,
我从不用计算机。有时候我会乱涂乱画,
I start trying to find patterns really,
我开始试图找到确实的模式,
so I'm doing calculations which try to explain some little piece of mathematics
因此我进行可用来解释一些数学理论的计算,
and I'm trying to fit it in with some previous broad conceptual understanding of some branch of mathematics.
并力图使其契合于一些以前对数学分支的大范围的概念理解之中。
Sometimes that'll involve going and looking up in a book to see how it's done there,
有时候这需要去查看一些文献来了解是是如何完成的
sometimes it's a question of modifying things a bit, sometimes doing a little extra calculation,
有时候只是要进行一点修改的问题,有时候得再做一些计算,
and sometimes you realise that nothing that's ever been done before is any use at all,
有时候你意识到以前做过的东西根本没用
and you just have to find something completely new and it's a mystery where it comes from.
你得要找到一些全新的方式,而这会从哪儿来则是完全是谜。
I must confess I did not think that the Shimura-Taniyama conjecture was accessible to proof at present.
我必须承认我不认为谷山-志村猜想目前可被证实。
I thought I probably wouldn't see a proof in my lifetime.
我想可能在我有生之年都看不到证明了
I was one of the vast majority of people who believe that the Shimura-Taniyama conjecture was just completely inaccessible,
我是绝大多数人中的一员,相信谷山-志村猜想根本是无法达致,
and I didn't bother to prove it, even think about trying to prove it.
我犯不着来证明它,想也没想过要来证明它。
Andew Wiles is probably one of the few people on earth
安德鲁·怀尔斯可能是世上那少数人之一
who had the audacity to dream that you can actually go and prove this conjecture.
有胆量来设想确实可以来证明这个猜想
In this case certainly for the first several years I had no fear of competition.
既是如此,在头七年我不害怕这挑战。
I simply didn't think I or any one else had any real idea how to do it.
我只是不认为我或是任何其他人清楚知道该如何进行。