It was a very charged atmosphere, a lot of the major figures of arithmetical algebraic geometry were there.
那是相当紧张的气氛,算术界、代数界、几何界的重要人物齐聚一堂。
Richard Taylor and John Coates, Barry Mazur.
有理查·泰勒,约翰·科茨,巴里·梅休尔。
Well, I'd never seen a lecture series in mathematics like that before.
我以前还从未见到过像那样的数学讲座系列。
What was unique about those lectures were the glorious ideas, how many new ideas were presented,
那些讲座的独特之处在于光辉的思想所呈现的新思想的数量,
and the constancy of his dramatic build-up that was suspenseful until the end.
以及他一直保持着的戏剧化的处理方式,使悬念持续到最后。
There was this marvellous moment when we were coming close to a proof of Fermat's last theorem,
在这个绝妙的时刻,我们已接近了费马最后定理的证明,
the tension had built up and there was only one possible punchline.
紧张气氛出来了,而只要一语即可中的。
So after I'd explained the 3/5 switch on the blackboard,
所以当我在黑板上解释完3/5的转换之后,
I then just wrote up a statement of Fermat's last theorem, said I'd proved it, said I think I'll stop there.
就只写上了关于费马最后定理的一个声明,说我已证明了它,说我可以停下了。
The next day what was totally unexpected was that we were deluged by enquiries from newspapers, journalists from all around the world.
第二天完全出乎意料的是,我们被全世界范围的报纸、记者给淹没了。