What about sleep? In slow-wave deep sleep, our glial cells rinse cerebral spinal fluid throughout our brains,
关于睡眠呢?在慢波深度睡眠时,我们的神经胶质细胞冲洗着我们大脑中的脑脊液,
clearing away metabolic waste that accumulated in our synapses while we were awake.
清除掉当我们清醒时积累在突触的代谢废物。
Deep sleep is like a power cleanse for the brain.
深度睡眠就好像是大脑的强效净化。
But what happens if you shortchange yourself on sleep?
那么如果你在睡眠方面亏待了自己呢?
Many scientists believe that poor sleep hygiene might actually be a predictor of Alzheimer's.
许多科学家坚信不良的睡眠卫生可能是老年痴呆的前兆。
A single night of sleep deprivation leads to an increase in amyloid beta.
缺乏仅仅一晚的睡眠就会增加β淀粉样蛋白。
And amyloid accumulation has been shown to disrupt sleep, which in turn causes more amyloid to accumulate.
而淀粉样蛋白的累积已被证实会影响睡眠,从而导致了更多淀粉样蛋白的累积。
And so now we have this positive feedback loop that's going to accelerate the tipping of that scale.
所以现在我们有了正反馈循环,将会加剧天平的倾倒。
What else? Cardiovascular health. High blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, smoking, high cholesterol,
还有别的吗?心血管的健康。高血压、糖尿病、肥胖、吸烟、高胆固醇,
have all been shown to increase our risk of developing Alzheimer's.
这些都证明会增加患老年痴呆的风险。
Some autopsy studies have shown that as many as 80 percent of people with Alzheimer's also had cardiovascular disease.
一些验尸报告表明,有80%的老年痴呆患者同样患有心血管疾病。
Aerobic exercise has been shown in many studies to decrease amyloid beta in animal models of the disease.
许多研究表明,有氧运动在该病的动物模型试验中可以有效减少β淀粉样蛋白。
So a heart-healthy Mediterranean lifestyle and diet can help to counter the tipping of this scale.
所以有益心脏健康的地中海式生活方式和饮食可以有效扳回倾斜的天平。
So there are many things we can do to prevent or delay the onset of Alzheimer's.
所以我们能做很多事来预防或者延缓老年痴呆症的到来。
But let's say you haven't done any of them. Let's say you're 65; there's Alzheimer's in your family,
不过假设你并没有做任何事。并且你已经六十五岁了,你的家庭中有老年痴呆的患者,
so you've likely inherited a gene or two that tips your scale arm a bit;
所以你可能遗传了一两种可能会倾斜天平的基因,
you've been burning the candle at both ends for years; you love bacon; and you don't run unless someone's chasing you.
你的生命之火渐渐微弱;你喜欢培根;除非有人追你,要不你懒得跑动。