玛丽萨:你能相信吗?我们已经收到了100多份科学展览的参赛作品。
Santiago: That’s great! We now need to decide what types of awards to hand out.
圣雅各:太好了!我们现在需要决定一下要颁发的奖项。
Marissa: Everybody likes money. How about a cash prize?
玛丽萨:大家都喜欢钱。现金奖励怎么样?
Santiago: We’re working with a very small budget here. We can’t afford a cash prize and I’m not sure that it would send the right message anyway.
圣雅各:咱们的预算有限。我们承担不起巨额的现金奖励,我也不确定金钱是否能传递出正确的信息。

Marissa: The next best thing is a trophy.
玛丽萨:第二个选择就是奖杯了。
Santiago: We don’t have the budget for trophies if we plan to give out more than one commendation.
圣雅各:如果要颁发的奖项不止一个,那我们也没有足够的预算制作奖杯。
Marissa: Then how about medals?
玛丽萨:那么,金牌如何?
Santiago: We can’t afford good ones and nobody wants a cheap plastic medal.
圣雅各:我们买不起贵金属,再说也没人想要便宜的塑料奖牌。
Marissa: So I guess plaques are out, too?
玛丽萨:那奖章是不是也得排除了?
Santiago: I’m afraid so. I was thinking of ribbons, different color ribbons for different prizes. What do you think?
圣雅各:恐怕是这样的。我正在考虑彩带,不同的彩带授予不同的奖项。你意下如何?
Marissa: I guess ribbons would be okay. After all, it’s the praise and recognition that matters.
玛丽萨:我觉得彩带没有问题。毕竟,这是对获胜者的奖励和认可。
Santiago: Exactly. And for those getting honorable mentions, a certificate will do. We’ll also need certificates of participation for the rest.
圣雅各:没错。对于那些获得荣誉的人来说,我们可以授予其证书。我们还需要给其他的参赛者颁发相应的证书。
Marissa: So everybody gets something?
玛丽萨:所有参赛者都能获得奖励?
Santiago: That’s right. We don’t want anyone to leave empty-handed.
圣雅各:是的。我们不要让大伙儿空手而归。
Marissa: Even if their entry isn’t worthy of recognition?
玛丽萨:即使他们的参赛作品没有获得认可吗?
Santiago: All entries are worthy of recognition – just some more than others.
圣雅各:所有的作品都应该得到认可——只是认可程度不同而已。
译文属可可原创,仅供学习交流使用,未经许可请勿转载