This put me ahead of First Lady Michelle Obama and Indian politician Sonia Gandhi. Absurd.
而且,我居然排在米歇尔·奥巴马和索尼娅·甘地的前面,这太荒谬了。
My own mother called to say, "Well, dear, I do think you are very powerful,
我母亲打电话来说:“亲爱的,我的确认为你很有影响力,
but I am not sure you are more powerful than Michelle Obama." You think?
但跟米歇尔·奥巴马比就很难说了。”你认为呢?
Far from feeling powerful, I felt embarrassed and exposed.
我真没觉得自己有多大的影响力,反倒感觉被暴露在公众视野里,很是窘迫。
When colleagues at Facebook stopped me in the halls to say congratulations, I pronounced the list "ridiculous."
当脸谱网的同事在办公楼里拦住我大加称赞时,我告诉他们这个排行榜是“可笑的”。
When friends posted the link on Facebook, I asked them to take it down.
当朋友们在脸谱网上发布新闻链接时,我请他们删掉帖子。
After a few days, my longtime executive assistant, Camille Hart, summoned me into a conference room and closed the door. This was serious.
几天后,长期担任我的执行助理的卡米尔·哈特把我叫进会议室,并关上门——这是一次严肃的谈话。
She told me that I was handling the Forbes thing poorly
她告诉我,我对福布斯排行榜这件事处理得很差劲,
and that I needed to stop subjecting anyone who brought up the list to a diatribe on its absurdity.
我应该立即停止与那些提起福布斯排行榜的人争论“为什么这件事是荒谬可笑的”。
I was showing too many people how uncomfortable I felt and revealing my insecurity.
我在太多人面前表现出了自己的不自在和不安全感,
Instead, I needed to simply say, "Thank you."
其实,我只需要说声“谢谢”就可以了。
We all need colleagues like Camille, who was honest enough to point out my less-than-gracious response.
我们都需要像卡米尔这样的同事,他们会真诚地指出我不合宜的回应。她是对的。
She was right. Whether the list was ridiculous or not, I didn't write it and I didn't have to react negatively to it.
不管排行榜是否荒谬,我不是发起者,也没有必要产生过于负面的反应。
I doubt a man would have felt so overwhelmed by others' perception of his power.
我怀疑,一个男人会不会因为感到自己越来越有影响力而不知所措。