I have been teaching for a long time, and in doing so have acquired a body of knowledge about kids
我从事教师工作很长一段时间了,而在我教书的过程当中我学了很多关于孩子与学习的知识,
and learning that I really wish more people would understand about the potential of students.
我非常希望更多人可以了解学生的潜能。
In 1931, my grandmother -- bottom left for you guys over here -- graduated from the eighth grade.
1931年,我的祖母--从你们那边看过来左下角那位--从八年级毕业。
She went to school to get the information because that's where the information lived.
她上学是去获取知识,因为在过去,那是知识存在的地方。
It was in the books; it was inside the teacher's head;
知识在书本里,在老师的脑袋里,
and she needed to go there to get the information, because that's how you learned.
而她需要专程到学校去获得这些知识,因为那是当时学习的途径。
Fast-forward a generation: this is the one-room schoolhouse, Oak Grove, where my father went to a one-room schoolhouse.
快进过一代:这是个只有一间教室的学校,Oak Grove,我父亲就是在这间只有一个教室的学校就读。
And he again had to travel to the school to get the information from the teacher,
而同样的,他不得不去上学,从老师那儿取得知识,
stored it in the only portable memory he has, which is inside his own head, and take it with him,
然后将这些知识储存在他唯一的移动内存,那就是他自己的脑袋里,然后将这些随身携带,
because that is how information was being transported from teacher to student and then used in the world.
因为这是过去知识被传递的方式,从老师传给学生,接着在世界上使用。
When I was a kid, we had a set of encyclopedias at my house.
当我还小的时候,我们家里有一套百科全书。
It was purchased the year I was born, and it was extraordinary,
从我一出生就买了这套书,而那是非常了不起的事情,
because I did not have to wait to go to the library to get to the information.
因为我不需要等着去图书馆取得这些知识。
The information was inside my house and it was awesome.
这些信息就在我的屋子里,而那真是太棒了。
This was different than either generation had experienced before,
这和过去相比是非常不同的,
and it changed the way I interacted with information even at just a small level.
这改变了我和信息互动的方式,即便改变的幅度很小。
But the information was closer to me. I could get access to it.
但这些知识却离我更近了。我可以随时获取它们。