Some goals require more traditional paths; anyone who aspires to become a Supreme Court justice should probably start by attending law school.
有些目标的实现需要走较为传统的路子,例如一个想做最高法院大法官的人应该从法学院的学习起步。
But even a vague goal can provide direction, a far-off guidepost to move toward.
但即使是一个模糊的目标也能为你提供人生的方向,它就像一个远处的路标指引你前行。
With an eye on my childhood dream,
基于我童年的梦想,
the first job I took out of college was at the World Bank as research assistant to Larry Summers, who was serving a term as chief economist.
我大学毕业后的第一份工作便是担任时任世界银行首席经济学家拉里·萨默斯的研究助理。
Based in Washington, D C., the Bank's mission is to reduce global poverty.
世界银行位于美国华盛顿,旨在减少全球范围内的贫困现象。
I spent my first nine months in the stacks of the Bank library on the corner of Nineteenth and Pennsylvania,
不过,我工作的头9个月都在位于第19号大街与宾夕法尼亚大道拐角处的世界银行图书馆里,
looking up facts and figures for Larry's papers and speeches.
为拉里·萨默斯的论文及演讲查找所需要的资料与数据。
Larry then generously arranged for me to join an India health field mission to get a closer look at what the Bank actually did.
萨默斯随后安排我加入了一个印度医疗特派团,以便更深入地了解世界银行的工作内容。
Flying to India took me into an entirely different world.
到了印度后,我看到了一个完全不同的世界。
The team was working to eradicate leprosy, which was endemic in India's most remote and poorest regions.
整个团队都在努力工作,以消除印度贫困地区的麻风病。
The conditions were appalling.
情况是令人震惊的:
Due to the stigma of the disease, patients were often exiled from their villages and ended up lying on dirt floors in awful places that passed for clinics.
由于患上这种疾病被看作是一种耻辱,得了病的人通常都会被驱逐出自己的村庄,最终躺在诊所肮脏的地板上死去。
Facts and figures could never have prepared me for this reality.
之前我搜集的资料并没有让我为面对这样的现实做好准备,
I have the deepest respect for people who provide hands-on help to those in crises.
因此我对那些切实地去帮助解决这类危机的人们怀有最深的敬意。
It is the most difficult work in the world.
这是世界上最困难的工作。