And since there are already a reduced number of women in leadership roles,
而领导者中的女性数量目前还很少,
it is not possible for the junior women to get enough support unless senior men jump in too.
除非男性高层管理者一视同仁,否则低级别的女性员工就不可能获得足够的支持。
We need to make male leaders aware of this shortage and encourage them to widen their circle.
我们需要让男性领导者意识到这一点,鼓励他们在扩大自己的人际圈时,也注意到性别比例的问题。
It's wonderful when senior men mentor women.
男性高层管理者对女性加以指导是件好事,
It's even better when they champion and sponsor them.
如果他们能为女性提供支持与赞助当然就更好了。
Any male leader who is serious about moving toward a more equal world can make this a priority and be part of the solution.
任何一位男性领导者只要认真想过推动世界平等这个问题,他就能优先考虑并积极参与问题的解决。
It should be a badge of honor for men to sponsor women.
对男性来说,支持女性就应该像佩戴荣誉勋章一样。
And since we know that different perspectives improve performance, companies should foster and reward this behavior.
既然我们很清楚,观点的不同有利于促进工作表现,那么公司就应该培养并鼓励这样的行为。
Of course, there are some tricky issues to be solved here, including the perceived sexual context of male-female relationships.
当然,这里不得不提到一些棘手的问题,包括如何正确处理两性关系。
Once during my Treasury years, Larry Summers and I traveled together to South Africa,
我在美国财政部工作时,曾随拉里·萨默斯教授去南美出差。
where we holed up in the living room of his hotel suite to work on his speech on fiscal policy for the next day.
当晚我们在他套房的客厅里为第二天关于财政政策的演讲做准备。
Jet-lagged and oblivious to the time change, we suddenly noticed it was 3:00 a.m.
由于时差,我们都没注意到时间的流逝,猛然发现时已经是凌晨3点。
We both knew it would look awful if anyone saw me leaving his hotel suite at that time.
我们都很清楚,如果有人在这个时间看到我从他的套房走出来,后果会相当严重。
We discussed the options. Maybe he should check to see if anyone was in the hall?
于是我们讨论了一下可能的选择:也许他应该先出去看看有没有人在大厅?
Then we realized we were stuck because there is no difference between trying not to be seen leaving someone's hotel room late at night
随后我们意识到,我“试图”在深更半夜偷偷离开教授的房间,
and actually leaving someone's hotel room late at night.
与我“的确”在深更半夜离开教授的房间并没什么区别
I strode into the (luckily) empty hall and made it to my room undetected.
于是,我直接走进了(幸好是)空荡荡的楼道,回到了自己房间。