You've probably been there.
你可能有过这样的感觉。
You're sitting on the bus or the subway,
你正坐在公共汽车或地铁上,
and across from you are two people you're pretty sure are siblings because, y'know, they look really similar.
你相当肯定对面坐着的是兄弟姐妹,因为,你知道的,他们看起来真的很像。
And then they start making out. So … not siblings. Hopefully.
然后他们开始证明。结果他们不是兄弟姐妹,虽然你希望如此。
As strange as it sounds, multiple studies have shown that we find people who look like us more attractive.
尽管听起来很奇怪,但多项研究表明,我们发现长得像我们的人更有吸引力。
And it might be because, like the rest of animal kingdom, we're just trying to pass along our genes.
这可能是因为,我们与其他动物王国一样,只是试着传递我们的基因。
People often choose partners that are similar to them in everything from personality to age to education level.
人们经常选择与自己性格、年龄、教育程度等各方面相似的伴侣。
Which isn't too surprising.
这不太令人吃惊。
These are all examples of assortative mating:
这些都是选择性交配的例子:
our tendency to select our life partners with an eye for certain traits and characteristics.
我们倾向于留意某些特定特征或特点,以此来选择生活伴侣。
Liking someone with the same interests and experiences makes sense,
喜欢有相同兴趣和经历的人是有道理的,
but research suggests we prefer people who look like us, too.
但研究表明,我们更喜欢长得像我们的人。
For example, one study published in 2013 in PLOS One showed that
例如,2013年发表在《公共科学图书馆·综合》(PLOS One)上的一项研究证明
subjects found their partner's face more attractive after it was digitally mixed with their own.
受试者发现他们伴侣的脸与自己的脸进行数字合成后更有吸引力。
Twenty heterosexual couples were asked to look at photos of seven versions of their partner's face.
20对异性恋情侣被要求看七个版本的伴侣面部照片。
Each version was blended with another face, some male, some female, some average-looking, and some really attractive.
每个版本都是与另一张脸的合成,有男性的、女性的、相貌平平的还有一些非常有魅力的。
Most importantly, one of the versions mixed the partner's face with the subject's face,
最重要的是,其中一个版本将伴侣的脸与受试者的脸合成了,
although the subject didn't know it.
虽然受试者不知道。
And as a control, one of the versions combined mirrored versions of the partner's face
作为对照组,其中一个版本结合了伴侣的镜像版本,
so, it was all the same person, but the image looked digitally altered just like the rest of them and didn't stand out.
所以它是由同一个人合成的,但看上去和其他照片一样经过了数码处理,并不引人注目。
When the subjects were asked to rank the photos from most to least attractive,
当受试者被要求对照片按从最吸引人到最不吸引人的顺序排号时,
they liked the version that was blended with their own face the most.
他们最喜欢与自己的脸合成的版本。
They liked it even more than the control, which was made up of just their partner's face.
他们对它的喜欢甚至超过了对照组,后者是由伴侣自己的脸合成的。
It might seem weird to want to date someone who looks like you.
想和一个长得像你的人约会,这似乎有点儿奇怪。
Sure, we tend to prefer things that we've seen before, and there's nothing more familiar than the person in the mirror.
当然,我们更喜欢以前见过的东西,没有什么比镜子里的自己更熟悉的了。
Even so, incest is kind of a bad thing.
即便如此,乱伦也是件坏事。
Just ask the royal families of Europe or the Targaryens.
问问欧洲皇室或者坦格利安家族就知道了。
So you'd think we'd have evolved to not be attracted to people who look like us.
所以你会认为我们已经进化到不会被长得像我们的人所吸引的程度。
But some research suggests that we're attracted to people who look like us
但一些研究表明,我们会被长得像我们的人所吸引,
because we are actually looking for some genetic similarity in our partners.
因为我们实际上是在伴侣身上寻找基因相似性。
A 2014 study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences
2014年发表在《美国国家科学院院刊》(Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences)杂志上的一项研究
compared the genetic data for 862 older, married couples,
比较了862对老年夫妇的基因数据,
and found that the married couples were more genetically similar than random, non-married pairs.
结果发现,已婚夫妇与随机未婚夫妇相比,他们的基因更相似。
In fact, the more genetically similar two of the subjects were, the more likely they were to be married.
事实上,受试者的基因越相似,他们越有可能结婚。
Now, that definitely doesn't mean having similar genes automatically means you're going to get married.
当然,这并不意味着拥有相似的基因就意味着你要结婚了。
But the fact that scientists saw that relationship is still pretty strange.
但科学家们发现这种关系的事实仍然很奇怪。
There seems to be a happy medium when it comes to genetics, though.
不过,遗传学方面似乎存在一种快乐的媒介。
You might find someone especially attractive when they have some genetic similarity, but not too much.
当某个人与你有一些基因相似性时,你可能会觉得他特别有魅力,但这种相似性不要太多。
In that study I mentioned earlier, where subjects rated different pictures of their partners,
在我之前提到的那个研究中,不仅受试者对他们伴侣的不同照片进行了评分,
the researchers also did a second experiment.
研究人员还做了第二个实验。
They digitally combined different amounts of the subject's face with their partner's face,
他们用数字技术将受试者不同面积的面部与他们伴侣的面部结合起来,
and they found that adding too much or too little of the subject's face
结果发现受试者的面部面积增加太多或太少
made that version of their partner seem less attractive.
都会让他们的伴侣看起来魅力减少。
It was that middle amount of similarity, about 22%, that made their partner appear more attractive than normal.
正是这种中间的相似度(约22%)让他们的伴侣看起来比平常更有吸引力。
Research in both animal and human populations has found that
动物和人类的研究都发现
picking a partner with some genetic similarity is related to more stable partnerships,
选择具有某些遗传相似性的伴侣与更稳定的伴侣关系、
more children, and greater altruism among family members.
更多的孩子和家庭成员之间更好的利他主义相关。
Evolutionary theory says we're always trying to pass along our genes by raising our kids
进化论认为我们总是试着通过养育孩子来传递我们的基因,
until they're old enough to start their own families,
直到他们长大成家,
and a partner that shares more of your genes has extra motivation to do that, too.
一个与你基因相似度更多的伴侣有更多的动力去这么做。
Plus, partners with similar genetics often share other characteristics, like personality,
而且,有相似基因的伴侣通常会共享其他特征,比如性格,
which can make for a more stable relationship.
这有助于形成更稳定的关系。
So from an evolutionary standpoint, it makes some sense to select a partner who looks like you.
所以从进化的角度来看,选择一个长得像你的伴侣是有道理的。
But we've also learned that too much similarity
但我们也知道了太多的相似之处
can increase our odds of passing along dangerous recessive traits or other developmental problems.
会增加我们遗传危险隐性性状或其他发育问题的几率。
Plus it's just plain creepy.
再说,这太恐怖了。
So for a safe, genetically-similar, non-creepy middle ground, we find people who look like us.
因此,为了寻找一个安全、基因相似、不恐怖的中间地带,我们会找长得像我们的人。
This doesn't mean you have to pick a partner who looks like you, obviously.
显然,这并不意味着你必须选择一个长得像你的伴侣。
Those other traits we select for, like personality and educational level,
我们挑选的其他特征,比如人格和教育水平,
are usually more important for stable relationships than whether or not you get confused for cousins all the time.
对稳定的感情关系而言,通常比你一直对表亲的困惑更重要。
Physical similarity just seems to be another factor we consider before deciding to swipe right on Tinder,
生理的相似性似乎是我们决定在Tinder(交友软件)上向右滑动前考虑的另一个因素,
and it's probably not the most important one. So don't be too weirded out.
而且它可能不是最重要的。所以不要太奇怪。
We'll let the Targaryens keep on keeping on, and the rest of us can get back to our normal lives.
我们会让坦格利安人继续这样下去,我们其他人可以回到正常的生活中。
Thanks for watching this episode of SciShow Psych, brought to you by our patrons on Patreon!
感谢您收看本期的心理科学秀,它是由Patreon赞助播出的!
If you'd like to help us keep researching weird questions like this one,
如果你想帮助我们继续研究一些奇怪的问题,比如这个,
you can head over to patron.com/scishow.
你可以登录patron.com/scishow.
And don't forget to go to youtube.com/scishowpsych and subscribe!
不要忘了登录youtube.com/scishowpsych点击订阅哦!