Dear 17-year-old self,
17岁的我,
When your Laker dream comes true tomorrow, you need to figure out a way to invest in the future of your family and friends.
当你的湖人梦明日就将成真,你需要找到投资你家庭和朋友未来的方法。这听起来很简单。
This sounds simple, and you may think it's a no-brainer, but take some time to think on it further.
你可能会觉得,这很简单,简直不用动脑。但你真的需要花点时间去好好思考。
I said INVEST.
我说的是投资。
I did not say GIVE.
我说的不是给予。
Let me explain.
让我解释给你听。
Purely giving material things to your siblings and friends may appear to be the right decision.
纯粹地给予兄弟姐妹和朋友物质上的东西,似乎是正确的决定。
You love them, and they were always there for you growing up,
你爱他们,而他们在你成长的路上也一直相伴。
so it's only right that they should share in your success and all that comes with it.
因此,他们应该分享你的成功和随之而来的一切。这是毫无疑问的。
So you buy them a car, a big house, pay all of their bills.
所以,你给他们买车,买大房子,付他们所有的账单。
You want them to live a beautiful, comfortable life, right?
你希望他们生活舒适、多姿多彩多彩,对吧?
But the day will come when you realize that as much as you believed you were doing the right thing, you were actually holding them back.
但终有一天,你会意识到,你越相信你做的是对的,你这样做实际上限制了他们的潜力。
You will come to understand that you were taking care of them because it made YOU feel good,
你会逐渐知道,你照顾他们只是为了让你自己感觉很好。
it made YOU happy to see them smiling and without a care in the world — and that was extremely selfish of you.
你很开心看到他们笑着,过着无忧无虑的生活——这说明你极度自私。
While you were feeling satisfied with yourself, you were slowly eating away at their own dreams and ambitions.
但当你对自己感到满意的同时,你渐渐地蚕食了他们自己的梦想和野心。
更多精彩内容请关注微信公众号:篮球英文堂 新浪微博:篮球英文堂