SciShow is supported by Brilliant.org. Go to Brilliant.org/SciShow to get 20% off of an annual Premium subscription.
本期《科学秀》由Brilliant.org赞助播出。登录Brilliant.org/SciShow获取订阅年费八折优惠。
Picture it: You're right in the middle of binging the latest season of The Great British Bake Off
想象一下:你正沉溺于最新一季的《英国家庭烘焙大赛》
when suddenly you look at the clock and realize it's one in the morning.
突然看看时间,你意识到天都快亮了。
You should have been in bed two hours ago, but you're not even tired.
两小时前你就该睡觉了,但是你现在根本不困。
You might have even heard that artificial sources of blue light, like your laptop screen, can mess with your body's internal clock.
你或许听过蓝光人工来源,比如你的电脑屏幕,会扰乱你身体的生物钟。
But did using a screen at night really keep you up longer, or was that just Paul Hollywood's beautiful blue eyes?
但是晚上盯着屏幕真的会让你熬夜,又或者这不过是保罗·好莱坞漂亮的蓝色眼睛呢?
And if you bring your phone or laptop to bed with you so you can watch just one more episode as you drift off,
如果把手机或电脑带上床,那么在迷迷糊糊睡过去前,你还可以多看一集,
will that actually prevent you from getting a good night's sleep?
这样真的会影响你的睡眠质量么?
Turns out the answer to both of those questions is probably yes. And getting around the problem might not be as easy as it seems.
事实证明两个问题的答案可能是肯定的。弄清这些问题或许没有看起来那么容易。
Your body's internal clock, or circadian rhythm, is regulated by a type of neuron in your eyes called ganglion cells.
你身体的生物钟或称为生理节律,由眼睛里的一种神经元—神经节细胞调节。
In dim light, these cells signal the release of a hormone called melatonin, which tells your body to prepare for sleep.
在昏暗的灯光中,这些细胞发出信号释放一种被称为褪黑激素的荷尔蒙。告诉你的身体准备睡觉。
It makes your metabolism slow down, your body temperature drop — things like that.
它会让你的新陈代谢慢下来,让你的体温下降之类的。
But these ganglion cells are more sensitive to certain colors of light than others.
但这些神经节细胞对某些颜色的光更加敏感。
Specifically, they're most sensitive to a wavelength of 482 nanometers,
尤其是它们对一种482纳米的波长最为敏感,
which is a sort of turquoisey-blue that's a big component of daylight.
这是一种蓝绿色,日光中含有大量这种颜色。
The thing is, screens emit some blue light, too, which tricks the ganglion cells into thinking
问题是屏幕也会发出一些蓝光,让神经节细胞以为
there's still some daylight out there so it's not time to sleep just yet.
外边还有些日光,现在还不是睡觉的时间。
Studies have suggested that when people are exposed to blue light before they go to sleep,
研究表明当人们在睡前暴露于蓝光之中,
they get less total sleep and wake up more frequently over the course of the night.
他们的睡眠时间更短,醒得次数更加频繁。
This isn't necessarily something you can just fix with a cup of coffee in the morning, either.
这并不是用一杯咖啡可以解决的问题。
Studies have found that long-term disruption of your body's circadian rhythm
研究发现身体生理节律的长期紊乱
is associated with a wide range of health problems, from depression to cancer.
和很多健康疾病相联系,比如抑郁症和癌症。
It's important to note that so far, most of the studies on blue light have been observational, meaning they looked at what happened,
重要的是要注意到目前为止,多数关于蓝光的研究都是观测性的,这意味着他们只观察了发生的情况
but didn't control the amount of light to see if actually caused the sleep problems.
并没有控制光的数量,观测这些是否真的会引起睡眠问题。
Many have also been small, or used animal subjects instead of humans.
很多都是小型研究,或是用动物代替人类作为受试者。
So we don't have conclusive evidence that your daily late night scrolling actually causes sleep or health problems,
因此我们没有决定性证据表明每天晚上看手机真的会引起睡眠或健康问题,
but we've seen that they tend to go together.
但是我们看到它们之间有联系。
Let's be real here, though: most of us aren't going to stop using our phones or computers after dark.
事实上,我们多数人在晚上放不下手机和电脑。
That's some of the best time for phones and computers!
这可是玩手机和电脑的最佳时机之一!
So there are other options, like software that makes your screen emit less blue light when it's dark out,
因此还有其他选择,比如让你电脑减少蓝光释放的软件
or special glasses with tinted lenses that filter out blue light.
或是过滤蓝光的特制有色镜片眼镜。
Unfortunately, researchers haven't been able to consistently demonstrate that those programs or glasses actually do anything.
不幸的是,研究人员没能达成一致证明这些软件或眼镜真的有用。
It doesn't necessarily mean that blocking blue light is ineffective —
这并不意味着阻挡蓝光是无效的—
it's just that so far the studies on these approaches have had too many flaws to draw any conclusions.
只是到目前为止关于这些方法的研究有太多的缺陷从而无法得出任何结论。
Maybe you're sensing a theme: we need better studies into the problems with blue light and how to address them.
或许你感受到了这样一个主题:我们需要更好的对蓝光问题以及其解决方法进行研究。
But for now, we know enough to say that it's probably worth stopping the TV binge just a little early,
但是现在,我们可以说或许可以早点关电视,
no matter how desperately you want to find out if Stacey gets eliminated. Your body will thank you.
不论你有多么迫切地想要看Stacey是不是被淘汰掉了。你的身体会感谢你的。
And, no spoilers in the comments about who's the greatest British baker,
大家不要在评论中剧透,
but if you're wanting to workout your brain while all you can think about is baking, check out this Brilliant.org course on Measurement.
但是如果你想锻炼大脑,可以看看Brilliant.org关于度量的课程。
You'll get better at estimating the amount of flour and chocolate chips you need
你将会擅于估计所需面粉和巧克力的数量
while you expand your knowledge on the very idea of measurement.
还可以扩展关于度量的知识。
We tend to think of measurements as fixed, which is why they're useful.
我们认为度量是固定的,所以学习这些很有用。
But talking about a big cake or a long night is relative to your experience.
但是说起大蛋糕或长夜都和你的经验相关。
Brilliant.org has tons of courses and quizzes that allow you to practice your math skills,
Brilliant.org有很多课程和小测验,可以锻炼你的数学能力,
but what's unique to Brilliant is that they treat each topic with nuance.
但是Brilliant的独到之处是他们关注每个话题的细微差别。
You'll definitely get better at always using units when talking about measurements after taking this interactive course,
上完课后再谈论起度量,你绝对会更加擅长运用度量单位,
but you'll also just understand the world in a more complex way.
你还将以一种更加复杂的方式了解这个世界。
Which, as you might have heard, I'm a fan of.
我也是他们的粉丝。
So thanks for Brilliant for sponsoring this week of SciShow videos and helping us all see the world in new ways.
感谢Brilliant赞助本周《科学秀》并帮助我们用新的方式看待世界。
Check out Brilliant.org/SciShow to learn more and right now, the first 200 people to use that link,
登录Brilliant.org/SciShow了解更多,前200名点击该链接的观众
get 20% off of an annual premium subscription.
可以获得订阅年费八折优惠。