It takes continual communication, honesty, and a lot of forgiveness to maintain a rickety balance.
要维护这样一种脆弱的平衡,需要不停地沟通,保持坦诚和宽容。
We are never at fifty-fifty at any given moment—perfect equality is hard to define or sustain—but we allow the pendulum to swing back and forth between us.
我们绝不是在任何时候都刻意将家务对半分担,完全的平等是很难定义或维持的,我们允许情况偶尔有所偏向。
In the coming years, our balancing act may get harder.
在此后几年里,维护这种平衡变得越来越难。
Our children are still young and go to sleep early,
孩子小的时候睡得早,
which gives me plenty of time to work at night and even to watch what Dave considers to be truly bad TV.
因此我也能在晚上有一些工作时间,甚至还能看看戴夫认为很糟糕的电视节目。
As the kids get older, we will have to adjust.
孩子们渐渐长大了,我们不得不进行调整。
Many of my friends have told me that teenage children require more time from their parents.
许多朋友告诉我,青春期的孩子需要父母更多陪伴。
Every stage of life has its challenges.
人生的每个阶段都有它的挑战,
Fortunately, I have Dave to figure it out with me.
幸运的是,我有戴夫陪着我一起去应对,
He's the best partner I could imagine—even though he's wrong about my TV shows being bad.
他绝对是我所能想象的最好搭档——就算他对我看的电视节目偶有偏见。
Having a true partner like Dave is still far too rare.
像戴夫这样的搭档实属罕见。
While we expect women to be nurturing, we don't have the same expectations of men.
人们通常期望养育孩子的是女人,对男人却没有相同的期望。
My brother, David, once told me about a colleague who bragged about playing soccer the afternoon that his first child was born.
我的弟弟戴维告诉我,他的一个同事曾夸耀说,他第一个孩子出生的那天下午他正在踢球。
To David's credit, instead of nodding and smiling, he spoke up and explained that he didn't think that was either cool or impressive.
戴维的反应值得称赞,他没有点头微笑,而是大声说他觉得这样做没什么值得炫耀的。
This opinion needs to be voiced loudly and repeatedly on soccer fields, in workplaces, and in homes.
不管是在球场、职场,还是在家里,我们都应该大声地表达出这样的意见。