He explains that "in every senior job I've had I've tried to create an environment of professionalism and the very highest standards.
他解释说,“在我做过的所有高管工作中,我都试着创造一种倡导专业精神、高标准严要求的氛围。
When it was necessary to get a job done, I expected my subordinates to work around the clock.
当必须完成一项工作时,我会期待我的部下鼓足了干劲儿工作。
When that was not necessary, I wanted them to work normal hours, go home at a decent time, play with the kids,
如果不是当天必须完成的,我就希望他们能正常工作,正常上下班,回家陪孩子们玩耍,
enjoy family and friends, read a novel, clear their heads, daydream, and refresh themselves.
享受和家人、朋友在一起的时光。有空的时候读一本小说,整理一下自己的思绪,做做白日梦,让自己劳逸结合。
I wanted them to have a life outside the office.
我希望员工在工作之外拥有自己的生活,
I am paying them for the quality of their work, not for the hours they work.
我给他们薪水是基于他们的工作质量,而不是工作时间。
That kind of environment has always produced the best results for me."
所以,我创造的这种工作氛围通常会取得最好的工作业绩。”
A related issue that affects many Americans is the extension of working hours.
工作时间的延长影响了许多美国人的生活。
In 2009, married middle-income parents worked about eight and a half hours more per week than in 1979.
2009年与1979年相比,中等收入水平的员工每周工作时间多出8.5个小时。
This trend has been particularly pronounced among professionals and managers, especially men.
这种增长趋势在专业人士和中高层管理人员(特别是男性)身上尤其明显。
A survey of high-earning professionals in the corporate world
对企业界高收入专业人士的调查发现,
found that 62 percent work more than fifty hours a week and 10 percent work more than eighty hours per week.
62%的人每周工作超过50个小时,10%的人每周工作超过80个小时。欧洲各国则没有出现这种趋势,因为限制工作时间的国家政策已经得到了落实。
Technology, while liberating us at times from the physical office, has also extended the workday.
科学技术虽然能把我们从实际的办公室中解放出来,但相对也延长了工作时间。