I'm a nurse in a hospital's children's ward.
我是一家医院儿童病房的护士。
One night, I was at the nurses' station when I heard a little boy in his room talking.
一天晚上,我在护士站听到一个小男孩在他的房间里说话。
He kept the patter up for some time.
他喋喋不休有一段时间。
Finally, I got on the intercom and said softly but firmly, "All right, Johnny, it's time to go to sleep now."
最后,我打开对讲机,轻轻地但坚定地说:“好了,约翰尼,该睡觉了。”
There was quiet in the room, and then he said, "OK, God, I will."
房间里很安静,然后他说,“好的,上帝,我会的。”
I didn't hear a peep from him until morning.
直到早晨我才听到他的尖叫声。
I was in a small store in a nearby town one evening.
一天晚上,我在附近城镇的一家小商店里。
Wanting to find out when it opened the next morning,I stopped a teenage staffer on her way out and asked, "What are your hours?"
想知道第二天早上什么时候开门,
I stopped a teenage staffer on her way out and asked, "What are your hours?"
于是,我拦住一位十几岁的女员工,问她:“你们的营业时间是几点?”
Her reply: "Right now, six to nine because I'm in school.
她回答说:“现在,六点到九点,因为我在上学。
But next month it will be full-time."
但下个月就是全天营业。”