Dialogue 1
Jingjing: Hey Mark, are you doing anything special for Women's Day?
京晶:嗨,马克,妇女节要做点什么特别的事吗?
Mark: That's this week, isn't it? What day of the week will it be?
马克:就是这周了,对吗?周几呢?
Jingjing: March 8th is Friday this year.
京晶:今年的三月八日是周五。
Mark: Well then, I'd better buy flowers today or tomorrow, then stash them in the house so my wife doesn't see them until the day.
马克:那么,我最好今天或明天买些花,然后把它们藏在家里,过节那天再让我太太看见。
Jingjing: Why not buy them on Friday?
京晶:为什么不在周五买呢?
Mark: The prices always get jacked up on holidays. Besides, she can see them first thing in the morning, that way.
马克:价格总是在节假日被抬高。并且,这样她就可以在早晨第一时间看到它们。
Jingjing: Bless your heart! You're not just a miser, but a thoughtful one.
京晶:保佑你这颗美好的心灵!你不仅仅是个吝啬鬼,而且是个体贴人的吝啬鬼。
Mark: What about you, Jingjing?
马克:你呢,京晶?
Jingjing: I'll do what I usually do: get together with some friends for a good dinner.
京晶:我就和平常一样吧,和朋友们聚在一起吃顿好的。
Mark: Don't fix what ain't broken, eh?
马克:不变挺好(维持现状即可),对吧?
Jingjing: I know you like to read, Mark. Are you reading any books by female authors?
京晶:我知道你喜欢阅读,马克。你读过女性作家的书吗?
Mark: The book I'm reading now just happens to be written by a woman. I didn't pick it for that, though. It was just next on my list.
马克:我现在读的书恰好就是一位女性写的。我也没特意选择,只是我书单上的下一本而已。
Jingjing: And who would you say are some of the most influential women?
京晶:你认为最有影响力的女性都有哪些?
Mark: Well, I think women make great talk show hosts. Just look at Oprah Winfrey and Ellen Degeneres. Their shows have been running longer than most.
马克:嗯,我觉得女性能做很棒的脱口秀主持人。看看奥普拉·温弗莉和艾伦·德杰尼勒斯,她们节目的运行时间比其他人做的都要长久。
Jingjing: I agree. I like to think about all the female scientists and scholars.
京晶:我同意。我倾向于考虑所有那些女性科学家和学者。
Mark: Right, like Jane Goodall, who you interviewed on the radio.
马克:对,就像你在电台采访的珍.古道尔。
Jingjing: Oh, yeah. Thanks for reminding me of that. That was a good interview.
京晶:哦,是的。多谢你提醒我。那是一次很棒的采访。
Mark: My pleasure!
马克:不客气!
New words : 习语短语
jacked up (价格)被抬高
raised, made expensive
Bless your heart! 别人做了好事之后的称赞恭维
(a way of complementing someone when they've done something nice)
Don't fix what ain't broken! 别修没坏的东西,维持现状
don't change something if it works well
just happens to be 碰巧、恰好
about their identity (male, female, black, white), but it isn't what matters
Dialogue 2
Jingjing: So, do you know how Women's Day got its start as a holiday?
京晶:那么,你知道妇女节是怎么来的吗?
Mark: Well, I was reading about it earlier this week.
马克:嗯,周前我还了解了一些呢。
Jingjing: Yeah? And what'd you find out?
京晶:哦?你发现了什么吗?
Mark: It began in the early part of the 20th century. It was organized around suffrage movements.
马克:它始于20世纪初,是围绕着选举权运动组织起来的。
Jingjing: Wow, I didn't know it had to do with the right to vote. But I guess that makes sense.
京晶:哇,我不知道这和选举权有什么关系,但我想它是有道理的。
Mark: Yes. In North America, Europe, and Russia, women had conferences. It was in Germany that they celebrated the first Women's Day on March 8th.
马克:是的,在北美,欧洲和俄罗斯,妇女举行了会议。3月8日,他们在德国庆祝了第一个妇女节。
Jingjing: That was in 1914, wasn't it?
京晶:那是1914年,是吗?
Mark: Exactly. So, the holiday is more than a hundred years old.
马克:正是。所以这个节日已经有一百多年历史了。
Jingjing: Right: a century of celebrations!
京晶:对,百年庆典!
Mark: Right, yeah.
马克:对,是的。
Jingjing: ...So, between Oprah and Ellen, who do you think will be remembered more in the future?
京晶:......那么,奥普拉和艾伦,你觉得将来谁会被人们更多铭记?
Mark: Good question. Personally, I like Ellen's dry sense of humor.
马克:好问题。就我个人而言,我喜欢艾伦的冷幽默。
Jingjing: Oprah has a good sense of humor too.
京晶:奥普拉也很幽默。
Mark: She sure does. And she has more range. I think that'll get her in the books as the best interviewer.
马克:她确实有。她的变化延伸维度更广。我想这会让她成为被载入史册的最好的采访者。
Jingjing: I'm a fan of both hosts. I agree that Oprah has different ways of dealing with different people.
京晶:我是她俩的粉丝。我赞同奥普拉有本事用不同的方式对待不同的人(被采访者)。
Mark: Well, let's hope there are more famous female media personalities in the future.
马克:好的,希望将来有更多著名的女性媒体人物。
Jingjing: I bet there will be!
京晶:肯定会的!
New words : 习语短语
century 世纪
a hundred years
suffrage 选举权
the right to vote, equal voting rights
conference a big meeting 大型会议
dry sense of humor 冷幽默
telling jokes in a serious way without laughing
range 范围,广度,多样性
being able to express oneself in very different ways (and sing high and low notes)