The most Zen of all simplicities was Jobs's decree, which astonished his colleagues,
所有的“简洁”中最为玄妙的是乔布斯让同事们大吃一惊的一个决定:
that the iPod would not have an on-off switch.
iPod上不能有开关键。
It became true of most Apple devices. There was no need for one.
这在之后的大部分苹果产品中都实现了。开关键是没有必要的。
Apple's devices would go dormant if they were not being used, and they would wake up when you touched any key.
如果一段时间不操作,它会自动进入休眠状态;当你触摸任意按键时,它又会自动“醒来”。
But there was no need for a switch that would go "Click -- you're off. Good-bye."
但是没有必要专门设定这样一个流程:按下去--等待关机。再见。
Suddenly everything had fallen into place: a drive that would hold a thousand songs;
突然之间,一切都准备就绪了:一张可以承载1000首歌曲的芯片;
an interface and scroll wheel that would let you navigate a thousand songs;
一个可以操控1000首歌曲的界面和滚动式转盘;
a FireWire connection that could sync a thousand songs in under ten minutes;
能够在10分钟之内下载1000首歌的火线连接;
and a battery that would last through a thousand songs.
还有一块能持续播放1000首歌的电池。
"We suddenly were looking at one another and saying, 'This is going to be so cool,'" Jobs recalled.
乔布斯回忆说:“我们突然间彼此相视,说:‘这个东西一定会很酷。’
"We knew how cool it was, because we knew how badly we each wanted one personally.
我们知道它到底有多酷,是因为我们都知道自己多想要拥有一部。
And the concept became so beautifully simple: a thousand songs in your pocket."
而且产品的概念也变得简洁诱人--把1000首歌曲装进你的口袋。”
One of the copywriters suggested they call it a "Pod."
有一个广告撰稿人建议把它命名为“Pod”,
Jobs was the one who, borrowing from the iMac and iTunes names, modified that to iPod.
而乔布斯沿袭了iMac和iTunes的命名方式,把它改为iPod。