Dialogue 1
Jingjing: Mark, you're all sweaty. What happened?
京晶:马克,你这汗流浃背的,发生了什么?
Mark: In case you haven't noticed, it's hot as hell outside.
马克:难道你是没注意到么,外面热疯了。
Jingjing: Um, I went out for a walk after lunch. Actually I just got back. I don't think it was so bad.
京晶:嗯,我午饭后出去散了会儿步。事实上,这才刚回来。我觉得没那么糟呢。
Mark: Really? I was walking pretty fast from the subway station, because I was worried about being late to meet you. I guess that's how I broke a sweat.
马克:是吗?我从地铁站疾走过来,因为我担心跟你见面会晚了,我猜这就是我汗流浃背的原因吧。
Jingjing: Well, how about you take a seat and cool down for a minute.
京晶:那,不如你先坐下,凉快会儿?
Mark: Yeah, okay. Hey, do you have the A/C on in here?
马克:是啊,好啊。嘿,这屋里你开空调了吗?
Jingjing: We do. We're just not cranking it. That's all.
京晶:开啦。我们只是开得不大。
Mark: Oh, I can barely feel it.
马克:噢,我几乎感觉不到呢。
Jingjing: That might have something to do with why you feel so overheated now. Did you have the A/C on at home?
京晶:这可能跟你此刻感觉太热有关。你家里开空调了吗?
Mark: Yes. I left it on overnight. Actually, my house was a brisk before I left. I remembered to shut it off though.
马克:开了。开着过夜呢。事实上,我离家前屋里还挺凉爽的。但我也记得关了(再出门)。
Jingjing: I'm glad you did that, for the environment. But you should really avoid air conditioning. Having it on for a few minutes after an evening shower is enough.
京晶:你这样做是很好的,为了环境。但你真的应该避免吹冷气。晚上洗澡后开个几分钟就足够了。
Mark: Huh? What's wrong with running it 24-7, as long as you're in the room?
马克:啊?整天开着有什么不好吗?只要你人在家。
Jingjing: If you do that, you don't get used to the hot summer temperatures. Then it's a huge shock for you whenever you go outside.
京晶:如果那样做的话,你该不适应炎夏的温度了。任何时候你走出去都有种巨大的温差感。
Mark: Yeah, I guess you're right. I really felt like I got blasted with the heat as soon as I stepped out of the door of my building.
马克:是的,我想你是对的。我真的感觉到,一旦我走出楼门,我真的是要热炸了。
Jingjing: That's not good for you. I'll have some more tips for keeping cool in a minute. Let me finish some work. Just relax for a bit.
京晶:这对你真不好。一会儿我给你一点夏日凉快的小招儿。让我先完成些工作。你先歇会儿。
Mark: Ok. Whew!
马克:好!(如释重负呼出一口气)
New words : 习语短语
hot as hell 极热的,炙热的
very hot (as hot as it is in Hell; but people also say “angry as hell“ and “tired as hell”, things that can't describe a place)
break a sweat 汗流浃背
start sweating heavily
cranking (something) 高量地使用
having something at a high setting (like a car stereo or a heater)
brisk 凉爽的
cool, just a little cooler than people would like, not quite chilly though
24-7 整日整夜
24 hours a day, 7 days a week
blasted 被强有力的东西撞击
hit by something powerful
Dialogue 2
Jingjing: Well, Mark, are you ready to hear some good tips about keeping cool in summertime?
京晶:准备好了吗马克,准备好听一些夏日防暑降温的好方法?
Mark: Yeah. But I'm getting deja vu. Haven't we talked about this before?
马克:有啊,但是我现在有点似曾相识的幻觉,我们之前是不是聊过。
Jingjing: We may have. I might have even told you already about using the A/C sparingly.
京晶:我们可能聊过。我可能也已经告诉过你关于用谨慎地少用空调。
Mark: Ha ha. I guess I'd better pay attention to what you say this time.
马克:哈哈,我猜我最好注意听你这次要说的。
Jingjing: Ok. So, I noticed you had a cold drink with you when you came in. If you want to keep cool, have lukewarm drinks instead.
京晶:好的。那么,我注意到让你进屋时你手里拿着一杯冷饮,如果你想保持凉爽,取而代之,喝常温饮料。
Mark: That doesn't add up. Cold drinks cool me down. What's the matter with that?
马克:这就怪了。冷饮让我凉快下来,这又怎么了?
Jingjing: Cold drinks are a shock to your system. Your body has to work to make you warm inside. So, a while after having a cold drink, you feel even hotter than before.
jingjing: 冷饮对你的身体系统是非常大的刺激。你的身体需要做工来保持内脏的温暖。所以,当吃完冷饮后一段时间,你会感觉到比之前更热了。
Mark: Hey, I've noticed that! Great, so what's your next suggestion?
马克:可不是,我也注意到这一点了!非常好,那么你的下一个建议是?
Jingjing: Also about your drink: don't have so much sugar during the summer months. Actually a lot of the food items and drinks we think are satisfying are hard on our bodies. That includes spicy food, heavy meat dishes, and food that is very salty or sweet.
京晶:也还是关于你喝的饮品:夏天这几个月不要摄入太多糖。事实上许多我们自认为吃起来非常爽的食物和饮料对于身体的承受力来说非常艰难,比如辛辣食物,油腻肉食,或者过甜过咸的食物。
Mark: Oh, there go my plans for the evening. I was going to kick back and enjoy some outdoor barbecue.
马克:哦,你看我今晚的计划是这么安排的,我本打算休息然后享受一顿户外烧烤。
Jingjing: Ha ha. Well, feel free to enjoy the outdoor atmosphere. Just don't have too much meat. And, instead of beer or cold soda, have some--
京晶:哈哈,那就自在地去享受下户外气氛吧,就是别吃太多肉就行了。还有,别喝啤酒和冷苏打水,喝点……
Mark: Please don't say warm water. Please don't say warm water! I'm so tired of hearing that!
马克:拜托别说热水啊!求求千万别说热水啊!我耳朵都听起茧了!
Jingjing: Ok then. How about a fresh cucumber? Have you tried that on a hot day or a summer evening?
京晶:好的。那新鲜的黄瓜怎么样?你有没有在炎热的日子里或者夏日夜晚试过它们?
Mark: Not since I was a kid. That sounds really refreshing. I'm going to go buy a few cucumbers later today, then.
马克:打小就没试过。听上去很清新哦。一会儿晚些时候我就去买点新鲜黄瓜。
Jingjing: Great. I'm glad I could be a good influence.
京晶:很好。很高兴我能给你带来些好的影响。
Mark: Thanks, Jingjing!
马克:谢谢京晶。
New words : 习语短语
deja vu 似曾相识感
a feeling like something has happened before
use (something) sparingly 谨慎节约地用
use only a little of something
lukewarm 常温的
room temperature, neither hot or cold (especially for water or other drinks)
(something) doesn't add up 这太奇怪了
something can't be understood, doesn't sound like it's right
kick back 休息,休闲
relax, enjoy free time