"Who are you?" asked the little prince, and added, "You are very pretty to look at."
“你是谁?”小王子说,“你很漂亮。”
"I am a fox." said the fox.
“我是一只狐狸。”狐狸说。
"Come and play with me," proposed the little prince. "I am so unhappy."
“来和我一起玩吧,”小王子建议道,“我很苦恼……”
"I cannot play with you," the fox said. "I am not tamed."
“我不能和你一起玩,”狐狸说,“我还没有被驯服呢。”
"What does that mean-- 'tame'?"
“什么叫‘驯服’呢?”
"It is an act too often neglected," said the fox. "It means to establish ties."
“这是已经早就被人遗忘了的事情,”狐狸说,“它的意思就是‘建立联系’。”
"To establish ties?"
“建立联系?”
"Just that," said the fox.
“一点不错,”狐狸说。
"To me, you are still nothing more than a little boy who is just like a hundred thousand other little boys.
“对我来说,你还只是一个小男孩,就像其他千万个小男孩一样。
And I have no need of you.
我不需要你。
And you, on your part, have no need of me.
你也同样用不着我。
To you, I am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes.
对你来说,我也不过是一只狐狸,和其他千万只狐狸一样。
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other.
但是,如果你驯服了我,我们就互相不可缺少了。
To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world..."
对我来说,你就是世界上唯一的了;我对你来说,也是世界上唯一的了。”
"I am beginning to understand," said the little prince. "There is a flower...I think that she has tamed me..."
“我有点明白了。”小王子说,“有一朵花……我想,她把我驯服了……”
"My life is very monotonous," the fox said.
“我的生活很单调。”狐狸说道。
"I hunt chickens; men hunt me. All the chickens are just alike, and all the men are just alike.
“我捕捉鸡,而人又捕捉我。所有的鸡全都一样,所有的人也全都一样。
And, in consequence, I am a little bored.
因此,我感到有些厌烦了。
But if you tame me, it will be filled with sunshine.
但是,如果你要是驯服了我,我的生活就会充满阳光。
I shall know the sound of a step that will be different from all the others.
我会辨认出一种与众不同的脚步声。
Other steps send me hurrying back underneath the ground. Yours will call me, like music, out of my burrow.
其他的脚步声会使我躲到地下去,而你的脚步声就会像音乐一样让我从洞里走出来。
And then look: you see the wheat field over there? I do not eat bread.
再说,你看!你看到那边的麦田没有?我不吃面包。
Wheat is of no use to me. The wheat fields have nothing to say to me. And that is sad.
麦子对我来说,一点用也没有。我对麦田无动于衷。而这,真使人扫兴。
But you have hair the colour of gold. Think how wonderful that will be when you have tamed me!
但是,你有着金黄色的头发。那么,一旦你驯服了我,这就会十分美妙。
The grain, which is also golden, will bring me back the thought of you.
麦子,是金黄色的,它就会使我想起你。
And I shall love to listen to the wind in the wheat..."
而且,我甚至会喜欢那风吹麦浪的声音……”
The fox gazed at the little prince, for a long time.
狐狸沉默不语,久久地看着小王子。
"Please…tame me!" he said.
“请...驯服我!”狐狸说。