All this while, I was interviewing him, questioning him,
这一阵我一直在采访他,询问他,
and then I realized that I was getting very superficial information, or just answers to my questions.
后来我发现我只得到了很表面的信息,或只是简单地回答我问的问题。
But I really needed to dig deeper to get a new perspective.
但我真的需要再深入一点,看能不能理出新的头绪。
So I thought, well, let's observe him in his daily tasks, while he's eating, while he's watching TV.
我想从观察他的日常生活开始,观察他吃饭和看电视。
And then, when I was actually observing him walking to his dining table, it struck me,
当我看到他走去餐桌吃饭的时候,我震惊地发现,
this man who finds it so difficult to walk on flat land, how does he climb a staircase?
他就连在平地上行走都是很困难的,更何况去爬楼梯。
Because in India we do not have a fancy rail that takes you up a staircase like in the developed countries.
在印度没有像其他发达国家一样,电梯可以帮你上楼。
One actually has to climb the stairs.
大家都要爬楼梯。
So he told me, "Well, let me show you how I do it." Let's take a look at what I saw.
他跟我说:“我给你看我怎么上楼。”请看我所看到的情况。
So he took really long to reach this position,
他花了很长的时间走到了这个位置,
and then all this while, I'm thinking, "Oh my God, is he really going to do it?
这段时间我一直在想:“天啊,他真的要这么做么?
Is he really, really going to do it without his walker?" And then ...
他真的要不用拐杖走楼梯么?”然后...
And the turns, he took them so easily.
然后他很轻松的转弯。
So -- shocked? Well, I was too. So this person who could not walk on flat land was suddenly a pro at climbing stairs.
所以,震惊了么?我也震惊了。一个不能在平地上走路的人,爬楼梯却非常顺利。
On researching this, I realized that it's because it's a continuous motion.
通过研究,我了解到这是因为爬楼梯是一系列的动作。
There's this other man who also suffers from the same symptoms and uses a walker,
另一个同样使用拐杖的帕金森综合征患者,
but the moment he's put on a cycle, all his symptoms vanish, because it is a continuous motion.
只要骑上自行车所有的症状都消失了,也是因为这是连续性的动作。
So the key for me was to translate this feeling of walking on a staircase back to flat land.
所以问题的关键就是我如何把爬楼梯的感觉移植到平地上去。
And a lot of ideas were tested and tried on him, but the one that finally worked was this one. Let's take a look.
我在他的身上尝试了很多想法,我们看一下最终成功的想法。