And so much of the resources, intellectual resources, financial resources of of my generation
我们这一代人有很多的资源,知识资源、财政资源,
have gone into communications infrastructure and achieved wonderful things,
都用在了通信基础设施领域并取得了惊人的成就,
but perhaps not as wonderful as we claim them to be.
但是可能它并没有我们声称的那么好。
I mean, barely a week goes by that I don't read some comparison between a new way of sharing videos or something
我的意思是,大约一个星期过去了,我没有看到一些比较分享视频的新方式
that's compared to the invention of the printing press.
能与印刷机的发明相提并论。
And you only have to say that out loud to realize how silly that is.
你只要大声说出来,就会意识到这种比较有多傻。
The long and the short of it is... well, to give you an example.
长话短说就是...我可以给你们举个例子。
When I was flying out here, I had an experience that I've had with increasing frequency.
当我飞到这里的时候,我有一种在我生活中越来越频繁的体验。
You get on an airplane on a day flight to take you across America,
你白天搭乘一架飞机横跨美国大陆,
and the shades are down because they don't want the cabin to get too hot, save on the air-conditioning. Good idea.
飞机的窗帘拉下来是因为他们不想让机舱太热,节省空调耗能。这是个好主意。
And nobody lifts the shade as you take off.
飞机起飞时没有人拉开窗帘。
Nobody lifts the shade as you fly all the way across this amazing country.
当你一路飞过这个神奇的国家时,没有人拉开窗帘。
Nobody looks out the window.
没有人向窗外看。
Everybody's there with this screen with whatever it is they're doing.
每个人都在盯着屏幕,做着自己的事情。
I look out the window and people give me dirty looks,
我向窗外望去,人们对我投来鄙夷的目光,
because I'm interfering with the light on this screen.
因为我影响了照在屏幕上的光线。