手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 沃克斯独立观点 > 正文

看见历史 是谁偷走了印第安儿童(3)

来源:可可英语 编辑:hepburn   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

"My mother giving me up was a white person telling her if she didn't, she would never see her other kids again."

“我妈妈放弃了我是因为一个白人告诉她,如果她不这样做,她会再也见不到她的其他孩子。”

"In one of the documents I have, it's addressed to my biological father Victor Fox.

“我手头就有写给我生父维克多·福克斯的一份文件。

That he was trying to look us up to get ahold of us.

说的是他在努力地找我们,联系我们。

But Hennepin County wrote, 'Daniel and Douglas are adapting very well in their new family.'

但亨内平县的官员写道:‘丹尼尔和道格拉斯在他们的新家庭适应得很好。’

This was totally, it was a false statement."

根本就没这回事。”

"When you’re adopted, you know you're missing something.

“你被收养的时候,你知道你即将失去某样东西。

I think I've likened it to having like,

就好比

when someone has a 500 piece puzzle and they have all the pieces to make this pretty picture except one."

一个人有500块拼图,拼出一张漂亮的图片所需的每一片拼图他们都有了,除了最后一块。”

"My adoptive mother was not well.

“我的养母并不是很好。

Verbally, physically, and sexually and spiritually abusive.

语言侮辱,身体虐待,性侵犯,精神虐待,一个都没落。

By the time I was 14, I started drinking.

所以,我14岁就开始喝酒了。

15, drugs were added and I became an addict to numb.

15岁又开始吸毒,为了麻木自己,我变成了一个瘾君子。

I didn’t realize I was numbing pain."

但当时我并没有意识到我是在麻痹痛苦。”

"I tried suicide. I tried slicing my wrists one time."

“我试过自杀。有一次我就割腕了。”

"Children were taken.

“他们还带走了我的孩子。

And believed like I believed for a long time, that there was something wrong with me, versus something wrong with the system."

以为,就像我长期以为的那样,以为是我出了问题,而不是体制出了问题。”

The Indian Adoption Project was considered a success by the people who set it in motion.

在那些启动印第安儿童收养项目的人眼中,这一计划无疑是成功的。

Officials claimed, "generally speaking, we believe the Indian people have accepted the adoption of their children by Caucasian families

官员们声称,“总的来说,我们认为,印第安人民已经接受白人家庭收养他们的孩子这一政策了,

and have been pleased to learn the protection afforded these children."

并且很高兴得知他们的孩子得到了保护。”

But, the truth was unsettling.

事实却是令人不安的事实。

1

"These hearings on Indian children’s welfare are now in session."

“有关印第安儿童福利的听证会正在进行。”

"I was pregnant with Bobby and the welfare woman kept asking if I’d give him up for adoption.

“我怀鲍比的时候,福利院的那个女的就一直问我愿不愿意把他送人领养。

"Before he was even born?" "Yeah"

“还没出生就来问了吗?”“是的。”

"They picked up my children, and placed them in a foster home.

“他们接走我的孩子之后就把他们送到了寄养家庭。

And I think that they were abused in the foster home."

我认为,他们在寄养家庭里受到了虐待。”

Four years after Native people organized in this Senate hearing,

印第安人被传唤到这次参议院听证会的四年后,

Congress passed the Indian Child Welfare Act — known as ICWA.

国会才通过《印第安儿童福利法》,也即ICWA。

"It gives tribes a place at the table in court."

"这一法案让部落在法庭上有了一席之地。”

States would be required to provide services to families to prevent removal of an Indian child.

根据这一法案,各州要保护印第安家庭,防止印第安儿童被带走。

And in case removal was necessary,

就算真的需要带走,

they would have to try to keep the child with extended family, or another Native American family.

会要尽量把孩子留在他原来的大家庭里,或者让另一个印第安人家庭来领养。

"Without our relatives we cease to exist.

“没有了亲人,我们就不复存在了。

So with native people, part of our wealth, is in our family.

所以,和土著同胞住在一起的家,我们的财富(血脉)还是在我们的大家庭里。

It's in who we’re connected to."

在和我们联结的人身上。”

But the legacy of family separation in Native communities has been difficult to fully undo.

然而,拆散土著家庭的传统很难被彻底根除。

Today, Native American children are four times more likely to be placed in foster care than white children —

即便是今天,印第安儿童被寄养的可能性也仍然是白人儿童的四倍,

even when their families have similar presenting problems.

即使白人儿童家庭有同样的问题。

In these cases, ICWA is often the best legal protection they have.

这种时候,ICWA通常就是印第安家庭最大限度的法律保护了。

And it’s been under attack, repeatedly.

但这一法案却不断受到了攻击。

"A young girl ripped from her foster family, because of the Indian Children Welfare Act."

“因为《印度儿童福利法》,一个小女孩被迫离开了她的寄养家庭。”

White adoptive families intent on keeping Native American children have tried to do away with the act,

希望留住自己收养的印第安儿童的白人家庭企图废除这一法律,

and they’re often backed by conservative organizations.

他们通常都会得到保守组织的支持。

"The Indian Child Welfare Act was dealt a blow earlier this month."

“本月早些时候,《印第安儿童福利法》受到冲击。”

"The subject of a lawsuit issued on Tuesday by the Goldwater Institute

“周二提起诉讼的戈德华特研究所称,

argued that preferences given to American Indian families to adopt Indian children

领养印第安儿童时,印第安家庭优先于白人家庭这一政策

is unconstitutional and discriminates based on race."

有违宪法,是种族歧视的做法。”

"It’s a way for these industries, these very powerful industries, to try to attack what Indian identity is."

“这是那些行业、那些非常强大的行业试图攻击印第安身份的一种方式。”

"Wanting to overturn ICWA is connected to everything about who we are as a nation.

“推翻ICWA这种想法牵涉到了我们作为一个民族的一切。

So if we don't have any protections for our families,

所以,如果我们都保护不了我们的家人了

and if we don't have protections for our treaties, then we have no more Indians."

如果我们保护不了我们的条约了,那以后就不会有印第安人了。”

"We've been under attack.

“我们已经受到了攻击。

We're going to continue to be under attack and we have to keep just keep fighting."

未来还会继续受到攻击,我们必须战斗下去。”

"It's in our DNA to survive."

“求生存的欲望已经刻到了我们骨子里。”

"We are nations that pre-existed European contact and we are still here."

“接触欧洲之前,我们这个民族就已经存在了,未来我们也还会继续存在下去。”

重点单词   查看全部解释    
foster ['fɔstə]

想一想再看

vt. 养育,培养,促进,鼓励,抱有(希望等)

联想记忆
adopt [ə'dɔpt]

想一想再看

v. 采用,收养,接受

联想记忆
protection [prə'tekʃən]

想一想再看

n. 保护,防卫

联想记忆
except [ik'sept]

想一想再看

vt. 除,除外
prep. & conj.

联想记忆
overturn [.əuvə'tə:n]

想一想再看

v. 推翻,颠覆
n. 倾覆,打翻,革命

联想记忆
numb [nʌm]

想一想再看

adj. 麻木的,失去知觉的,无动于衷的
vt

联想记忆
legal ['li:gəl]

想一想再看

adj. 法律的,合法的,法定的

联想记忆
institute ['institju:t]

想一想再看

n. 学会,学院,协会
vt. 创立,开始,制

联想记忆
survive [sə'vaiv]

想一想再看

vt. 比 ... 活得长,幸免于难,艰难度过

联想记忆
unsettling [ʌn'setliŋ]

想一想再看

adj. 使人不安的;(消息)扰乱的 v. 动乱不定;心

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。