Using the lo-fab way of building, even aesthetic decisions can be designed to impact people's lives.
利用“当地奇迹”的办法来建造楼房,即使审美决定的设计也能对人们的生活产生影响。
In Butaro, we chose to use a local volcanic stone found in abundance within the area,
在Butaro,我们选择利用当地的火山石,在那个区域里资源非常充足,
but often considered a nuisance by farmers, and piled on the side of the road.
而且通常被当地农人看作是很讨厌的,堆砌在路边。
We worked with these masons to cut these stones and form them into the walls of the hospital.
我们跟这些泥瓦匠切割这些石块,让它们做医院的墙。
And when they began on this corner and wrapped around the entire hospital,
当它们从这里开始,环绕了整个医院,
they were so good at putting these stones together,
这些石块放在一起非常好,
they asked us if they could take down the original wall and rebuild it.
他们问我们是否能够拆掉原来的重新建立一个。
And you see what is possible. It's beautiful.
你可以看见什么是可能的。它很美。
And the beauty, to me, comes from the fact that I know that hands cut these stones,
对我来说,这个美人,是来自手工切割的那些石块儿,
and they formed them into this thick wall, made only in this place with rocks from this soil.
他们把它们嵌进了这堵厚墙,只是在此地利用了来自这片土壤的石块儿。
When you go outside today and you look at your built world, ask not only:
现在当你到了外面,看看你建造的这个世界,不仅要问:
"What is the environmental footprint?" -- an important question
一个重要的问题,“什么是环境的足迹”,
but what if we also asked, "What is the human handprint of those who made it?"
我们同时也会问,“建造它的人类的手印又是什么呢?”
We started a new practice based around these questions, and we tested it around the world.
我们根据这些问题开始了一个新的练习,我们在全世界做了试验。
Like in Haiti, where we asked if a new hospital could help end the epidemic of cholera.
像在海地,我们在问一座新医院是否会给霍乱的流行划上句号。
In this 100-bed hospital, we designed a simple strategy to clean contaminated medical waste before it enters the water table,
在这个100张床位的病房里,我们设计了一个简单的策略,来清除污染的医疗废品,在它进入水源之前,
and our partners at Les Centres GHESKIO are already saving lives because of it.
而我们在Les Centres GHESKIO的合作伙伴已经为此拯救了不少的生命。