"Is there a higher calling than curing cancer?
“还有比治愈癌症更崇高的使命吗?
the attempts that we're making to cure cancer are really addressing one of the most challenging problems that humans face.
我们正在尝试治愈癌症,也是在解决人类面临的最具挑战性的难题之一。
the coming together of individuals to take on these complex challenges is our highest calling."
众志成城,共同迎接这些复杂的挑战就是我们的最高使命。”
"Oh, gosh. Look at this one. Mark. You remember this? Look at the kids they're making their animal claws."
“啊,马克你看这张。还记得吗?是孩子们在做动物的爪子。”
"Because my mom had cancer when I was 14, it had a really strong effect on me.
“因为我14岁的时候我妈妈就患上了癌症,这事儿对我的打击很大。
I was very afraid that I would get breast cancer.
我很害怕我也会得乳腺癌。
I just...was too afraid to ever go to the doctor.
我就……害怕到连医生都不敢去看。
but I felt like I needed to make sure I was healthy, to be there for the rest of the family.
但我还是觉得我应该去查查我是否健康,为了家人我也应该去查一下。
I did go and have a mammogram done.
所以我就去了,去做了乳房X光检查。
My doctor called me two days later when they had the results and told me that it was positive for breast cancer.
两天后检查结果出来了,我医生就给我打了电话,说检查结果是阳性的。
I had the bilateral mastectomy chemotherapy.
我就去做了双侧乳房切除化疗手术。
I thought I've done it, I'm okay.
我以为做完手术我就没事了。
In March of 2018, I woke up at 3 a.m. and felt a lump right next to my belly button.
2018年3月,有一天凌晨3点我就醒了,我感觉肚脐旁边有个肿块。
I had two small spots on my lung and three small spots that were they could see on an MRI in my brain.
我的肺上出现了两个小斑点,医生还在我的核磁共振图像(MRI)上看到我的脑部也有三个小斑点。
It felt like a death sentence, I don't sugarcoat it, that's what it felt like.
当时就感觉自己被判了死刑一样,真的就这么觉得的,我也不想说好听的。
I, I thought it would be dead in a few months.
我,我以为我已经活不了几个月了。
I literally just went to that. I went to that spot."
真的已经到那个地步了。真的是那种感受。”
"They were in the process of getting ready to open a clinical trial.
“当时他们正准备启动一项临床试验。
It seemed like a lifeline."
我好像看到了一线生机。”
"In the past, we have treated almost all patients with a given cancer the same way.
“过去,我们治疗某一种癌症的所有患者用的几乎都是同样的方法。
Yep, for many patients, those drugs were not effective.
问题是,多许多患者而言,那些药根本就没有效果。
Precision oncology is tailoring our therapy to what is happening in each patient and their tumor."
肿瘤精准治疗就是依据每个患者以及他们的肿瘤的具体情况调整我们的治疗方案。”
"The Smmart Program is the implementation of precision oncology for the individual patient.
“Smmart项目就是针对个体患者实施肿瘤精准治疗的一个项目。
We measure the tumors in many different ways in order to get clues about how they might be more effectively attacked.
为了获取关于如何攻克那些肿瘤才更有效的线索,我们采取了多种衡量方法。
This generates many terabytes of data."
继而产出规模庞大的数据。”
"One of the key challenges that we have is the need to analyze that data in real time."
“我们面临的主要挑战之一是我们需要对这些数据进行实时分析。”
"The partnership with Micron is designed to make this happen faster, using the technologies that they have available."
“我们和美光合作就是为了利用他们现有的技术早日实现这一目标。”
"We are helping the Ohsu Knight Cancer Institute speed up their analytics pipeline,
“我们正在用我们的深度学习加速器帮俄勒冈健康与科学大学奈特癌症研究所加快他们的分析流程,
using Micron's deep learning accelerators so that the data extraction is in a clinically relevant time frame."
以便他们能够在有效的临床时间范围内提取到数据。
"Some of these patients don't have three months to wait for an analysis to be completed,
“有些患者等不了三个月,
they need it done in a week, in a day, an hour."
他们需要一周,一天甚至是一个小时就看到检查的分析结果。”
"I have been treating patients for a very long period of time and all too frequently the cancer wins.
“我跟癌症患者打交道的时间已经很长很长了,绝大多数时候最后赢的都是癌症。
However, Beth was one of those exciting cases that when we first analyzed what was happening with her tumor,
但是,贝丝算是比较成功的一个案例,第一次分析她的肿瘤我们就知道,
We knew that we had something truly exciting for her."
我们有天大的好消息要告诉她。”
"The best I thought I was gonna hear was it hadn't gotten worse,
"我以为,我要听到的最多就是肿瘤没有恶化,
I had never dreamed that the tumors would be reduced, and that there would be nothing new."
我做梦都没想到还能缓解,还不会有新的肿瘤长出来。”
"You build technologies to do something.
“既然要搞技术,
So why not build the technologies that will accelerate insight, for some of our most complex questions, like cancer."
那何不就搞对癌症这种最难攻克的问题能有所启发的技术呢?”
"I feel incredibly lucky right now.
“我现在就觉得自己超级幸运。
We've spent time with our grandkids.
能有时间陪我的孙儿们。
Our seven-year-old, we decided to surprise her for her last day of kindergarten.
我有个7岁的孙女儿,我们决定在她幼儿园毕业那天给她个惊喜。
She jumped up and down and came running out and went,grandmmy, grandmmy, you're here.
当时她开心地跳上跳下跑进跑出的,喊着‘奶奶奶奶你来啦。’
It was... it was the best... it was so wonderful it was those moments I got to have."
就觉得,就觉得那是最好的……无比美好,那样的时刻我怎么能缺席呢?”