12 KNOW WHY YOU GET UP. Have a sense of purpose and you'll live longer.
知道你为何起床。带有目的感活着才能活得更长久。
That's what a study of 6,985 adults published in May 2019 found.
这是2019年5月发表的一项针对6985名成年人的研究得出的结论。
This positive mind-set seemed to be as beneficial as exercising regularly and not smoking,
这种积极的心态似乎与经常锻炼和不吸烟一样有益,
and the outcome held true even when the researchers accounted for factors such as income and education level.
即使研究人员考虑了收入和教育水平等因素,结果仍然是正确的。
Celeste Leigh Pearce, PhD, the University of Michigan epidemiologist who conducted the study,
主持这项研究的密歇根大学流行病学家塞莱斯特·利·皮尔斯博士在美国国家公共电台表示,
told NPR that it doesn't matter what your life purpose is, as long as you have one:
不管你的人生目标是什么,只要你有一个:
For some,it might be raising children.
对一些人来说,目标可能是养育子女。
For others, it might be doing volunteer work,"she says.
对其他人来说,目标可能是做志愿者工作。她表示,
"Where your life fulfillment comes from can be very individual."
“你的人生成就从何而来可能是因人而异的。”
13 VOLUNTEER. Working in a local soup kitchen, tutoring a needy student,
做个志愿者。在在当地的流动厨房帮忙,辅导贫困学生,
and helping the sick are all good for your health and happiness-just don't over commit.
帮助病人对你的健康和幸福都有好处——只是不要承诺太多。
Volunteering regularly(at least once a month) is associated with increased life satisfaction and lower rates of depression,
定期参加志愿活动(至少每月一次)可以提高生活满意度,降低抑郁率,
and it may reduce early mortality rates by 22 percent, according to a review in BMC Public Health.
根据《BMC公共卫生》杂志的一篇评论,它可以降低22%的早期死亡率。
14 USE THIS MENTAL TRICK TO SPEND LESS.
使用这个心理技巧来减少花费。
"Pretend for a moment you are at the end of your life, and ask yourself, What was important to me? "
克里斯·雷宁说,“假设你即将走到生命的尽头,问问自己,对我来说什么是最重要的?”
says Chris Reining, who saved enough to retire at age 37 by cutting his spending drastically and investing the savings.
他通过大幅削减开支和把省下来的钱用于投资,攒下了足够在37岁退休的钱。
"You're not going to say the bigger house,the fancier car, or the more glamorous job.
你不要说更大的房子,更豪华的汽车,或更迷人的工作。
You're going to say things like family, relationships, happiness.
你要说一些像家庭,人际关系,幸福之类的事情。
lt's life changing when you realize that most things won't make you happy,
当你意识到大多数事情不会让你快乐时,你的生活就会改变,
so the trick is learning to be satisfied with what you already have."
所以秘诀就是学会满足于你已经拥有的东西。”
15 WORK ON YOUR BALANCE. Falls are one of the most over-looked health threats facing older adults,
提升平衡感。阿兰·卡斯特博士表示,跌倒是老年人面临的最容易被忽视的健康威胁之一,
says Alan Castel, PhD, principal investigator for the Memory and Lifespan Cognition Lab at the University of California, Los Angeles,
他是洛杉矶加利福尼亚大学记忆和寿命认知实验室的首席研究员,
and author of Better with Age: The Psychology of Successful Aging.
并著有《愈老愈好:成功老化的心理学》一书。
According to the CDC, the death rate from falls rose 31 percent from 2007 to 2016.
根据疾病预防控制中心的数据,从2007年到2016年,跌倒造成的死亡率上升了31%。
Taking yoga or tai chi has been found to be especially effective,
人们发现,练习瑜伽或太极对练习平衡感特别有效,
but you can sharpen your balance in less formal ways.
你可以通过不那么正式的方式来提高你的平衡能力。
"I practice it every morning when I am brushing my teeth by standing on one leg for one minute,and then switching," Castel says.
卡斯特尔说,“我每天早上刷牙的时候都会练习,用一条腿站立一分钟,然后转换姿势。”