Please welcome to the show, Elizabeth Warren!
伊丽莎白·沃伦,欢迎来到节目现场!
She goes on Jon Stewart's show and just sort of explains what's going on.
她在乔恩·斯图尔特离开之后出现在台上,只是在某种程度上解释了发生了什么。
We go fifty years without a financial panic.
50年来我们没有金融恐慌。
Then what happens, we say "regulation, ah it's pain, it's expensive, we don't need it."
然后还是发生了,我们说:“必须要干预,啊,但过程艰难,成本昂贵,我们不需要去干预。”
so we start pulling the threads out of the regulatory fabric. So we have two choices.
我们要开始梳理监管架构脉络。所以我们有两个选择。
We're going to decide basically "hey, we don't need regulation, it's fine. "Or, alternatively,
我们基本上要决定,“嘿,我们不需要监管,没事的;或者,监管不监管都可以,
Or, alternatively, we're going to say "You know we're going to put in some smart regulation,
或者,我们会说“你知道我们会制定一些明智的规定,
and what we're going to have going forward is we're going to have some stability
我们接下来要做的是,我们将为普通人的生活带来一些稳定因素
and real prosperity for ordinary folks."
和真正的繁荣。”
And that's socialism That incredibly clear explanation of what's going on kind of knocks him for a loop.
让他大吃一惊的是社会主义对正在发生的事情做出了非常清楚的解释。
That is the first time in probably six months to a year, that I've felt better.
这可能是六个月到一年以来,我第一次感觉好多了。
He breaks character in that moment to say thank you.
他在那一刻失态了,说了声谢谢。
That was like financial chicken soup for me. Thank you.
对我来说就像是金融鸡汤。谢谢你。
Something that I think is important to note, though, is what makes sense about it.
不过,我认为需要注意的一点是,它有什么意义。
Something that has been a through line of Warren's career is that complexity
在沃伦的职业生涯中,有一点是贯穿始终的,那就是复杂性
is something the powerful wield against the powerless.
是强者对抗弱者的武器。
And complexity is something that people use to shift blame.
复杂性是人们用来推卸责任的东西。
Well, if the financial crisis is too complex for anybody to understand.
好吧,如果金融危机太复杂,任何人都无法理解。
You can't fix it and you definitely can't blame anybody for it.
那你不能解决掉危机,也绝对不能为此责怪任何人。
What is distinct about Warren in my view, is that she does understand these problems so well.
在我看来,沃伦与众不同的地方在于,她确实非常了解这些问题。
Elizabeth Warren has a lot of plans. My question is, what is her plan to make the plans a reality?
伊丽莎白·沃伦有很多计划。我的问题是,她打算做什么能让这些计划成为现实?
What's interesting about her in this respect, is compared to a lot of the other candidates,
她在这方面的有趣之处在于,与许多其他候选人相比,
she's much more specific on how she would get these things done.
她对如何完成这些事情有更独到的见解。
I mean, we've had this Democratic primary that is about differences in plans
我的意思是,我们的民主党初选是关于计划上的分歧,
that the candidates are not likely to have the votes in the Senate to come anywhere near passing.
候选人不可能在参议院获得满足于通过的选票。
And here's Warren arguing in a way the others primarily don't, that we should get rid of the filibuster.
沃伦以另一些人根本不喜欢的方式提出来,我们应该摆脱拖延战术。
That means lowering the number of votes a bill needs to pass the Senate from 60 to 51.
这意味着将法案在参议院通过所需的票数从60票降至51票。
We should get rid of the Electoral College. So whoever gets the most votes actually becomes President.
我们应该摆脱选举团。所以得票最多的人实际上就是总统。
We should make D.C. and Puerto Rico states.
我们应该去华盛顿和波多黎各自治邦。
So that millions of US citizens who can't vote for the President or members of Congress would finally be able to.
使数百万的美国公民最终能够投票给总统或国会议员。
It is often ignored, because process isn't sexy, but process ends up deciding outcomes.
这点经常被忽视,因为过程并不顺畅,但是过程最终决定了结果。
She's been much more focused on it, and much more ambitious than most of her competitors.
她比大多数竞争对手更专注于此,也更有野心。
And it's something that actually sets her apart in the field.
这也是她在这个领域与众不同的地方。
On a debate stage, or in a long grueling campaign against Donald Trump,
在辩论台上,或者在反对唐纳德·特朗普的漫长而艰苦的竞选中,
what do you think voters would learn about Elizabeth Warren who don't know her very well now.
你认为选民们会从伊丽莎白·沃伦身上学到什么,选民们现在并不是很了解她。
I think one of the advantages Warren has, if you're going to make the case for her,
我认为沃伦具备的优势之一就是,如果你要为她辩护,
she has built a much more thoroughgoing theory of political corruption and how it attaches itself,
她建立了一个更加彻底的政治腐败理论,以及这个理论是如何环环相扣的,
not just Donald Trump, but to the entire system he came into.
不仅是关于唐纳德·特朗普的,还有他所进入的整个体制。
Huge fossil fuel corporations have bought off our government. The gun industry has bought off our government.
大型的化石燃料公司收买了我们的政府。枪支工业也收买了我们的政府。
If you look at the way some of the other matchups look,
如果你看其他人与唐纳德·特朗普抗衡的样子,
Joe Biden is clearly going to run against Donald Trump as, Donald Trump is a bad man
乔·拜登显然会与唐纳德·特朗普竞争,因为唐纳德·特朗普是个坏人,
who does not reflect the best of American values.
他没有反映出美国最佳的价值观。
There is some possibility that could work. But also, it didn't work that well in 2016.
有一些可能性是存在并行之有效的。但在2016年的表现也不是很好。
I think Warren wants to push against Donald Trump as an emblem of political corruption.
我认为沃伦想把唐纳德·特朗普作为政治腐败的对象来反对。
So let's start with the obvious, Donald Trump is corruption in the flesh.
让我们开门见山吧,唐纳德·特朗普实际上就是腐败分子。
That is a place where polling suggests he's a lot more vulnerable.
民调显示出这个是他的软肋。
And so Warren's particular approach to Trump, where she is able to say…
所以沃伦对特朗普的特殊态度,她可以说……
that this kind of political corruption is the problem.
这种政治腐败才是问题所在。
That is a very potent attack in American politics.
这是对美国政治体制的一次非常有力的抨击。
In some ways it's a potent attack Donald Trump levied reasonably well against Hillary Clinton.
在某些方面,这也是唐纳德·特朗普对希拉里·克林顿发起的有力抨击。
And it's one Warren is arguably, I think, uniquely capable of levying back against Donald Trump.
我认为,沃伦可以说是唯一有能力对唐纳德·特朗普进行报复的人。