"No, I cannot stay; I have only brought you a little parcel my sisters left for you.
“不,我不能久呆,我不过给你捎来了一个小包裹,是我妹妹们留给你的。
I think it contains a colour-box, pencils, and paper."
我想里面有一个颜色盒,一些铅笔和纸张。”
I approached to take it: a welcome gift it was.
走过去收了下来,这是一件值得欢迎的礼品。
He examined my face, I thought, with austerity, as I came near:
我走近他时,我想他用严厉的目光审视着我。
the traces of tears were doubtless very visible upon it.
毫无疑问,我脸上明显有泪痕。
"Have you found your first day's work harder than you expected?" he asked.
“你发觉第一天的工作比你预料的要难吗?”他问。
"Oh, no! On the contrary, I think in time I shall get on with my scholars very well."
“呵,没有!相反,我想到时候我会跟学生们处得很好。”
"But perhaps your accommodations -- your cottage -- your furniture -- have disappointed your expectations?
“可是也许你的居住条件——你的房子——你的家具一—使你大失所望?
They are, in truth, scanty enough; but" ---- I interrupted:
说真的是够寒碜的,不过——”我打断了他:
"My cottage is clean and weather-proof; my furniture sufficient and commodious.
“我的小屋很干净,也经得住风雨。我的家具很充足,使用起来也方便。
All I see has made me thankful, not despondent.
我所看到的只能使我感到幸运,而不是沮丧。
I am not absolutely such a fool and sensualist as to regret the absence of a carpet, a sofa,
我绝不是这样一个傻瓜和享乐主义者,居然对缺少地毯、沙发、
and silver plate; besides, five weeks ago I had nothing -- I was an outcast, a beggar, a vagrant;
银盘而懊悔不已。更何况五周前我一无所有——我当时是一个弃儿、一个乞丐、一个流浪者。
now I have acquaintance, a home, a business.
现在我有了熟人,有了家,有了工作。
I wonder at the goodness of God; the generosity of my friends; the bounty of my lot.
我惊异于上帝的仁慈,朋友的慷慨,命运的恩惠。
I do not repine."
我并不感到烦恼。”
"But you feel solitude an oppression?
“可是你不觉得孤独是一种压抑吗?
The little house there behind you is dark and empty."
你身后的小房子黑咕隆咚,空空荡荡,”