So if you haven't found a job or decided on a career path yet, don't freak out.
所以,如果你到现在还没有找到工作,或者还没决定走什么样的职业道路,不用担心。
Don't let fear or frustration, or the fact that others around seem to be all set, immobilize you.
不要因为害怕或沮丧,或周围的人似乎都定好了方向而困住自己的步伐。
But do, from this day forward, open yourself up to possibilities you might never have considered.
你要做的是,从今天起,张开双臂迎接你也许从未考虑过的可能性。
Step up, step out of your comfort zone, consider saying "yes," even when "no" feels much safer.
迈开步伐,走出你的舒适区,考虑说“是”,尽管说“不”感觉更安全。
I'm not suggesting that it's gonna be easy.
我并不是说这么做很容易。
Your journey forward comes with some built-in stumbling blocks.
你们前方的旅程势必会出现一些内置的绊脚石。
When that radio internship ended,
我在电台实习结束后,
the news director kept me on as his secretary (thank you Katherine gives) for a few months while I tried to figure out my next move.
新闻总监让我留下来给他当几个月的秘书,感谢凯瑟琳给我的职位,那段时间我也在寻找下一步的发展。
A short stint reading news headlines at a Top 40 station in Worcester made me question what I was doing and why.
在伍斯特的这家全国40强电台读新闻标题的短暂经历让我开始反省,自己在做些什么,为什么要做这个。
And then came the offer to be a weekend television reporter at WJAR in Providence, Rhode Island, my home town.
然后我获得了在WJAR做周末电视记者的工作,这个电视台在我的家乡罗得岛州的普罗维登斯市。
It didn't matter that I had no on-air experience. It was 1976, and I filled a quota.
我没有直播的经验,但这并没关系。那是1976年,我填补了一个职位空缺。
Women and African-Americans were suddenly in hot demand.
当时,妇女和非洲裔美国人突然变得大受欢迎。
That is, until we were hired. And then almost no one rooted for us to succeed.
我们被录用之前就是这样。那时在争取成功的路上没有人支持我们。
I learned pretty quickly that the only way to gain respect would be to out-work everyone else;
我很快就认识到,赢得尊重的唯一方式就是比其他所有人工作得更出色,
to actually earn what I felt I was entitled to.
实实在在地赢得我觉得自己有资格获得的东西。
That ethic has served me well, and I highly recommend it.
这一准则让我受益匪浅,我向你们强烈推荐。